What's new
What's new

Does anyone have a Tongil OD grinder??? Lube question

Garwood

Diamond
I have a Tongil TGUA-27 OD/ID grinder. I need to change some hoses and top up the hydraulic fluid. I have no idea what this machine has in it (has a Mobil tag on reservoir, but handwriting is wiped off). If anyone has one of these I'd be super grateful for any info you might have about recommended oils.

Thanks!

You need a ISO 32 hydraulic fluid that is also suitable as a way lubricant. That narrows the choice down to Mobile Vactra 1. The Vacuoline 1405 substitute is not needed for a machine tool with horizontal ways.

Before you start adding oil to the grinder empty out the 14 gallon oil sump and remove the 1 inch thick layer of water based grinding sludge at the bottom of the tank. The wheel head ways below the rubber mat will also need a good cleaning and maybe a flush of the drain line. Do not let the grinder sit idle for more than a few months. The water in the hydraulic fluid will separate out in the piston cylinders and spool valves and cause some corrosion.

When in doubt as to age or contamination of the oil it is best to replace the hydraulic fluid rather than top it off . Or run it through a 10 micron filter before returning it to the sump. The filtered oil will not have the same concentration of anti corrosion and anti stick slip additives as a new batch of oil.

The Tongil company is still in business. A email sent to one of their sales offices will confirm the oil selection.

When this topic has come up in the past on this forum it was mentioned that Mobile Vacuoline 1405 and Vactra 1 may not be compatible. Either oil could be in the grinder sump. It would be a good idea to take a 1 oz. sample of the existing oil and a 1 oz. sample of the oil you intend to top off the sump with and mix the two together. Wait a few days. If the mix turns into a sludge you will need to empty the sump and grinder plumbing completely and start over with new oil.

The existing oil should also be test mixed with the coolant you are planning on using. There may be a chemical reaction with a synthetic coolant and the Vacuoline oil.

Last edited:

Back