What's new
What's new

Does Anyone Know What Kind of Cable This May Be?

HurleyByrd

Aluminum
I just had a spool of this cable stroll in here..... It has no markings on the insulation whatsoever nor on the spool itself. It is an odd color, appears to be a coated copper strand.

Anyone ever see anything like this before?

Thanks
Pete

Attachments

• P1030815.jpg
    P1030815.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 615
  • P1030814.jpg
    P1030814.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 497
  • P1030813.jpg
    P1030813.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 504
1842500 - Wal-rich 1842500 - Yellow Burial Tracer Wire, 14 Gauge (500 ft.)

The gas company buries a yellow wire along with plastic gas pipe to make it possible to detect it from above ground. But that is solid wire, not stranded.

In England, it is permitted to use yellow insulated wire for grounding.

Lightning rod cable is braided like that, but they don't use insulation. Lightning Rod Parts Equipment

Maybe it is heavy speaker wire. Kicker 47KMWPY820 (8-gauge) Marine-grade yellow ground wire, 20-feet at Crutchfield

Copper is about $3.00 a pound now, so scrapping it might be a good option.

Larry

I was looking at the cut ends under a magnifying glass and they are positively copper. I hate scrapping anything.... especially when I have 300 feet of the stuff.

On a wild guess it could have an automotive application. I used to manufacture and sell dual alternator kits to the limousine industry. I also saw many a personal vehicle with very high amperage stereo systems and a lot of them had large fancy colored wires running under the hood, same with the limousines.

I think you are in the right ballpark... I was looking at the spool a few minutes ago and flipped it over. It has a ship to address for Lockheed Martin..... Although no aviation component would ever be used havnig no identifying marks.... It could still be used in facility grounding, etc.... If Lockheed purchased it... it must be high quality.

If you were on the other coast you could probably put it on Craigslist or E-bay and a high end car stereo shop or a custom car builder would snatch it up for well above scrap price. Those people don't seem to exist in this neck of the woods

It is used for high frequency ac power winding's on ferite core transformers, The high power audio nuts would love the stuff. It is very pricey..Phil

I used some of the similar lightning rod ground cable to make a hanging potrack once long ago. Used that cable because it looked kind of like rope. Once it had darkened a bit, a light polish on the high spots made it look like a million bucks.

I was looking at the cut ends under a magnifying glass and they are positively copper. I hate scrapping anything.... especially when I have 300 feet of the stuff.

And you are in WBGVA?

Just run a gas line to heat or provide gas lights to the outhouse, hen house, smoke house, cow house, tractor shed, or the still shed, and use it up as tracer wire!

:D

It is used for high frequency ac power winding's on ferite core transformers, The high power audio nuts would love the stuff. It is very pricey..Phil

In that case individual strands would be insulated from each other. (Litz wire) Easy to check for example with multimeter. In case it is Litz wire it is VERY pricy stuff but nearly useless for "normal" use.

Braiding looks very unusual to me but it seem to be close to US grounding/lightning cable as pointed out by L Vanice.

In that case individual strands would be insulated from each other. (Litz wire) Easy to check for example with multimeter. In case it is Litz wire it is VERY pricy stuff but nearly useless for "normal" use.
LOL! Oh yazzz "pricey" when the strands were 60 gauge "back in the pre-IC day" hearing aids still used magnetic transducers and inductive interstage audio transformers the size of a pea! Right bitch to wind those at multiple tens of thousands to the year, too!

The braiding is of the sort for both high flexibility and good cross-conductivity 'tween strand bundles to insure the whole ration shares the load well.

Surely there are "white paper' pubs about all that if one has any pressing reason to research it.

I'd be tempted to just use it up for bonding as well as grounding, have mebbe fifty feet max, where a tracer would be handy.

Otherwise horse-trade some of the surplus. Not enough of it to waste a lot more time than that over.

I think you are in the right ballpark... I was looking at the spool a few minutes ago and flipped it over. It has a ship to address for Lockheed Martin..... Although no aviation component would ever be used havnig no identifying marks.... It could still be used in facility grounding, etc.... If Lockheed purchased it... it must be high quality.

Who said anything about Lockheed using it ?

Many times, engineering will request (and even pay for) samples, for testing and approval.
Could be it was someone's wild hair idea, and it never got approval.

Who said anything about Lockheed using it ?

Many times, engineering will request (and even pay for) samples, for testing and approval.
Could be it was someone's wild hair idea, and it never got approval.

Nah. Need not have to do with the airframe at all. Facility bonding even more than grounding is a natural.

Fail to keep that in good nic, Telco biz, we'd start losing costly electronics at a dreadful downtime rate, whole BUNCH of important stuff depending on it went pear-shaped.

"Didn't make no chips today. My roofer/remodeler/expert in all trades house-ey clocks at $80 an hour, so I try to DIY, aged or never."

"Could be it was someone's wild hair idea, and it never got approval."

Yuh digger dougz, yer wittle winkey sez its timez fer more WD 40 from da termitez approval, and thenz Yuh goez Yah Yah Yah!

Back