What's new
What's new

Does anyone know where to get Titanium Nitrided?

CPM2014

Cast Iron
I have a firearm part that we are seeing significant galling. The part slides along another part made of steel. We have tried anodizing but it only lasts about 250 cycles before wear-thru.

I am reading plenty of articles and studies that are showing fantastic results in plasma nitriding of Titanium but I cannot find anyone that offers this service. I have contacted both of my QPQ guys and they both say that they've never herd of this.

Does anyone know of a shop that offers this?

It would help if you list where you have already tried.
--------------------------------------

No need to help the ignorant here....

It would fill this page to list everyone I have contacted about this. That's why I was hoping to here someone that has personal knowledge about this process.

Tool-Flo in Houston will do it for you if the quantity is high enough. If they won't do it for you direct, ask for a cutting tool distributor you can go thru to get it done. I've seen some gun parts that were done for Briley manufacturing several years back. Ken

I can't promise they do titanium, but Thermofusion in San Leandro CA has been specializing in nitriding for a long time. They have processes they claim can nitride very deep, and they do a lot of unusual materials. It's worth a phone call.

I should have realized that people would get confused by the wording. I am looking to get Titanium nitride not TiN coating. PVD and DLC and the like are platings that are to thin, and do not penetrate the surface. Nitriding Titanium is not a common process, and in fact the only evidence I can find is in study white sheets from laboratory tests.

check me if im wrong, but I think the OP is looking to Nitride titanium, not titanium nitride.

I'm sure you've already seen this then, Nitriding of Titanium and Titanium Alloys :: Total Materia Article

I'm not a plater so I don't know what processes are compatible with what metals, but if you're looking for low friction and wear résistance, look into Teflon impregnated nickel

Ion Nitriding- There is a place in Conroe, TX that does Ion Nitriding. Used to go by the name Magnum Metal Treating or Magnum Heat treat. Been several years since I've used them. They may do ion nitriding with titanium. Ion Nitriding is some pretty hard stuff!

Back