What's new
What's new

Introductions and Query

Mickey_Dee

Plastic
G'day guys,

Am new to the forum, so here a bit of an introduction. Am from Wollongong, NSW Australia and am a Diesel Fitter by trade. Though there are some machine skills taught in our trade, especially if you're one of the lucky ones to have right host during your apprenticeship, one would like to build on the small amount currently possessed.

My query is regarding a recent acquisition, a Ryazan 1A64 lathe bought cheap. It seems to be be in reasonable shape with a good 'once over' required. Having scoured the web, there appears to be little to no information surrounding this machine outside of its dimensional specifications.

What I'm currently looking for is recommended lubricants to be used as I'd like to replace all the fluids and start on a known baseline. If anyone has an English translation of its operator's manual, this would be rather handy also.

If anyone is able to assist, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kindly,

Mick

G'day guys,

Am new to the forum, so here a bit of an introduction. Am from Wollongong, NSW Australia and am a Diesel Fitter by trade. Though there are some machine skills taught in our trade, especially if you're one of the lucky ones to have right host during your apprenticeship, one would like to build on the small amount currently possessed.

My query is regarding a recent acquisition, a Ryazan 1A64 lathe bought cheap. It seems to be be in reasonable shape with a good 'once over' required. Having scoured the web, there appears to be little to no information surrounding this machine outside of its dimensional specifications.

What I'm currently looking for is recommended lubricants to be used as I'd like to replace all the fluids and start on a known baseline. If anyone has an English translation of its operator's manual, this would be rather handy also.

If anyone is able to assist, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kindly,

Mick

"Ryazan 1A64 lathe lubricant recommendations sought"

Wow picture it....:crazy:

Give the guy a break. He was just being personal/polite with his intro. To the OP, what Doug is trying to say is, it is better (and forum rules) to start a thread with a descriptive title to facilitate pertinent responses.

Wish I could help with the Ryazan.

-Ron

Mick, this post has nothing to do with your lathe but your job description " Diesel Fitter" reminded me of a joke.
Two brothers just got off the boat from abroad and were looking for work. After two weeks of looking they came upon an industrial park that had a large sign " Now Hiring". The older brother Joe said I'll go in first.
He told the boss that he worked in a sewing factory that made ladies garments. He said he sewed the crotches in ladies underware . Then passed them on for inspection and packing. Boss says he's hired and he can start in two weeks at minimum wage. Goes outside and tells his brother he got hired, see if they can use you too. Sam the younger brother tells the boss he is a Diesel Fitter. Boss says that sounds like a very important job. Your hired and start tomorrow at $20.00 an hour.
Sam tells Joe what transpired. Joe runs into the office and says you just hired my brother for $20.00 an hour and he starts tomorrow? What gives ,boss says your brother has a very important job.
"Important job," what did he tell you he does for a living. Boss says your brother said he's a Diesel Fitter. Then Joe asks the boss " do you know what a Diesel Fitter does".
I'll tell you, after I sew the crotch in the panties I hand them to my brother for inspection.
He checks them for any imperfections and hollers Diesel fitter ,Diesel fitter.
Hope you got a laugh

mike

...apologies for the seemingly poorly formatted communique.

Nothing wrong with it. PM Community shortcoming.

Try as we might, we just HAVE NOT been able to find Brother Doug a new set of Hemorrhoids to transplant for his wore-out ones as don't reject HIM, so he's gone right crotchety.

:)

On the lubes:

Two things. "Secretive" as Russians are rumoured to be, they DID publish multi-lingual manuals for their EXPORT machine-tools. And/or their distributors did. When NEW, yah cuddn' SELL 'em otherwise.

Canada and Europe probably imported more than Australia did, so data will turn-up with enough searching.

Meanwhile.. EVEN IF there are powered hydraulic shifters, clutches, PIV drives, etc, any lathe built with similar drive systems, spindle bearings, gears, and width of ways will have used similar lubes.

Grab what "relevant" info you can find. Polish, East German. Bulgarian. Czech. "Balkanese", wotever .... of similar economic era and circumstance - "exotic" lubes seriously unlikely. Bugger might even have used IC engine lubes or hydraulic tractor oils for lack of readily available alternatives.

Do the usual kerosene flush, refill with whatever seems common, comparable, and not weirdly insane. 10EE lubes would be overkill, spend-wise, but harmless. It will not be that picky.

Russian lathe wudda been made durable above all else. Able to survive even if under-served, fed the wrong rations, and chronically abused.

It's their "normal" environment. They are WELL aware OF that. They are rather good at compensating for it.

Not very much good for pretty. Pretty much good for strong, as the song goes.

2CW

Back