Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    How's the model coming?

I will definitely be making some in the near future. I have to go pick up some SS on Saturday and will probably buy a couple hundred pounds of 4140 while I'm there.

What size and shape would you be interested in? I for sure need to make myself some more BXA that hold 3/4" tools.
    Here is a "first draft".

However it really is a large chunk of material, to keep waste down, I could go with a welded assembly (even though I would rather not) IF it get's welded before machining,
    would be best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails axa-toolblock-custom-1.jpg   axa-toolpost-assembled.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Here is a "first draft".

However it really is a large chunk of material, to keep waste down, I could go with a welded assembly (even though I would rather not) IF it get's welded before machining,
    would be best.
    I tend to get a good price on 4140 so I don't see material being much of an issue. Ballpark it cost me about $1 a pound, I buy small cut chunks of blooms and or slabs. Then I have large material for whatever project comes up and the bandsaw makes short work of it while I'm doing something else. Its not pre HT but at that savings and the fact its not a critical part I tend to take care of the heat treat myself, although I have holders in the normalized condition that after years of service show no signs of wear.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like longest dim. is 4.88 so a bar of 5" wide would work, thickness is standard 1.50"

Maybe make some with out the "El", just a rectangle in front of the dovetail, and then some more of the angle ones I have modeled.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Looks like longest dim. is 4.88 so a bar of 5" wide would work, thickness is standard 1.50"

Maybe make some with out the "El", just a rectangle in front of the dovetail, and then some more of the angle ones I have modeled.
    I'll send you an email through here and well figure something out. I don't have any AXA holders so it would be best if you can verify a measurement over say two 1/4" pins rather than me pulling something off the interwebby or just going by theoretical points. A quick search brings up some conflicting dimensions from unreliable sources.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails axa2.jpg  

5. Likes digger doug liked this post