What's new
What's new

Does anyone make a good O-Ring Gland tool cutter kit

adammil1

Titanium
Every so often I need to cut o-ring grooves, usually on the outside of a shaft, some internal. Does anyone make a good gland tool cutting kit? Ideally it would be nice to get one of each typical size cutter. For my usage HSS would likely be sufficient as I don't do enough of them but it would be handy to have something when the need is there.

What do all of you guys use to do o-ring glands?

Is this on manual machines? On CNC it's really easy to program in whatever width you want and a corner break or radius if you want them.

Waldes Tru=Arc used to (and may still) make a nifty internal slotting tool. I have one in a leather case that looks to have been a salesman sample as it is partially cut away to show the internals. Looks like it would still work.

Waldes-truarc-grooving-tool-long-island-city-ad-1953-ny-displaypic.jpg

Standard grooving inserts is all I've ever used, and the same at other places I've worked at, too. Nothing special about cutting them unless you get a stupid over educated engineer out there that likes to over spect. groove details for holding only 250 psi!

I just sharpen a piece of HSS as needed.

Yes this is what I currently do then I store and label them all when do the so I know for the next time. However if you read thru the Parker handbook they show you the ideal radi that are harder to grind by hand so I was wondering If anyone sells pre cut form tools with the right profile in them preferably in a kit that had all sizes in them.

I have some Nicole carbide insert grooving tool tools for external.They are way over priced.I had been grinding the internals for use in boring bars.

I found some cheap E-Bay insert tools for int.(RH & LH) & ext.Cost from $7.00 to $20.00 with inserts. They are only avail in 1mm,2mm and 3mm width but by off setting can get the widths I need.

I don't pretend to know more about o'ring grooves than Parker,but I just can't see how the corner radius is critical except for not creating a stress riser.So hand touching up the corners of the inserts is what I do.

Back