Does Anyone Make a Precision Small Pin Chuck or similar (for drill-press, mill, etc)
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Does Anyone Make a Precision Small Pin Chuck or similar (for drill-press, mill, etc)

I was curious if anyone has ever seen a precision pin chuck avaialable, similar to the ones shown below (those are too cheesy), or any other small precision collet system that can be chucked in a collet or drill press. We need a quantity of compact holders with good runout. In fact, in something like the below, we would cut it off and turn down a 3/32" shank. They cannot be real large in height or dia, on the order of dremel and pin-vise size collets and clamping nuts. We're holding around .052 dia tools. Precision chucks, even like the albrect 0-1/16 are too large/heavy (even if we wanted to pay the $$ for them and a custom adapter). Guess we might have to design and make some. Thanks in advance for any information.

pin-chuck.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by car2 View Post
    I was curious if anyone has ever seen a precision pin chuck avaialable, similar to the ones shown below (those are too cheesy), or any other small precision collet system that can be chucked in a collet or drill press. We need a quantity of compact holders with good runout. In fact, in something like the below, we would cut it off and turn down a 3/32" shank. They cannot be real large in height or dia, on the order of dremel and pin-vise size collets and clamping nuts. We're holding around .052 dia tools. Precision chucks, even like the albrect 0-1/16 are too large/heavy (even if we wanted to pay the $$ for them and a custom adapter). Guess we might have to design and make some. Thanks in advance for any information.

pin-chuck.jpg
    Shop Bergeon

Clamping collets | REGO-FIX

ER runs from 8 to 50.

ISTR ER 11 is the largest one that can grip "nearly-zero" diameter goods?

Sounds as if with a goal of keeping the size and mass of the holder to a minimum you would want your 0.052" tools to be fitted to the TOP end of a given collet size range, though?

Another practical option might be some of those Fischer Spindle & "not-only" carry for jig grinders and similar precision spindles. Generally better goods than Dremel, priced accordingly, similar sizes and concept.

CAVEAT: Those I'm familiar with are part of the design of the specific spindle.
    A couple of (Rockwell) "Precise" grinders in my case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try looking up ER-11 or ER-16 collet extensions. We used them often in the multispindle and swiss machines to get small tools closer to the work.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

eclipse colletvintage-eclipse-pin-chuck-160_1_064b6cc90a8339c7e0bccd61b2c461a8.jpg

5. Likes BugRobotics liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is my cheddar. Turned a bar for 40tpi and drilled a hole. Dremel collet and chuck.

dsc_1106.jpg

7. Likes TDegenhart, neanderthal mach liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I own an Eclipse pin chuck set as shown above and they work great. Another option I use is the Albrecht #0 drill chuck shown below.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are always using the same diameter drill, or whatever, just drill and ream a piece of rod to accept the drill bit and have a securing screw on the side. Grind a flat on the side of the drill bit for securement and torque.

Tom

10. Likes BugRobotics liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CAT 40/50 ER Chucks - SlimFIT - Techniks CNC Tooling Solutions

these are pretty nice, but the collets ain't cheap

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a set of Starrett #240 pin vises that are not knurled immediately below the pin end that can easily be clamped on center in a collet. The 240A is supposed to be good down to .010"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks; More Detail (CAUTION-long-winded)

Thanks everyone for your time and input, I appreciate it.
    Ok, here's the saga (CAUTION-a bit long-winded):

The project required this #55 drill to do a step in a dental lab process. The labs all use 2.35 mm collet rotary handpieces (and don't ask them to use anything else...). Those handpieces will not accept anything over 0.095 (3/32+), they will accept a considerable tolerance under 2.35 mm.

So, since we were just doing small quantities for development, we cut ferrules from 3/32 hypo tubing (turns out the ID was just right). Glued the ferrules with 7649 primer and 609 retaining compound (don't believe the literature that you don't REQUIRE primer for ss/hss). Dispensed these with small droppers with syringe needles. The drill bits are standard Viking HSS bright-finish. We started needing a lot of these (250/month), and the cutting/gluing is a PITA. Can get ferrules made, but the gluing is still a PITA.

I had started looking for someone to make custom a custom drill (again decent quantities 250-400/mo) for over a year and have been mostly unsuccessfully; I've contacted and sent drawings to around 15 companies.

Have not found anything off the shelf in HSS/cobalt/stainless, with the right diameter, and that has the required flute length of ~0.7" min, and 2.35 mm shank. Carbide is too brittle.

Went to the small adapter shown below (has an advantage that it can be re-used also with any #55 bit), which we are getting made. This adapter has a tight concentiricty spec and the bore is at the tolerance limit for the stock drills. With this relatively short adapter, the setscrew flexes the bit (even with moderate pressure), and even though the tolerance is tight, the distance between the screw and nose is so short that it often creates excessive additional runout at the end of the drill. I do have a longer design of that adapter, but it's sort of defeating the purpose with regard to runout and compactness, and we eventually need someone to just make integral 2.35 mm shank drills anyhow.

So, we are back to gluing the drills in those adapters while still looking for a vendor to make stinking simple HSS bits with a 2.35mm shank. So, I was inquiring if perhaps there might be a collet gizmo somewhere (I knew the chances were slim).

Thanks so much for everyone's input, if anyone knows of some sources for custom drills (hss, or stainless), drop me a PM, the quantities are probably 250-400/mo, and we also have another larger drill (3/32) with a pilot point (been grinding those from a stock Viking 3/32 on a TC grinder in the shop). We are not nickel-and-diming these drills, but the price should be reasonable,and good quality (similar to an off-the-shelf Viking drill).

This is another example of how "simple" things in a project can be a real PITA, never thought it would be a major operation to find vendors to make a simple HSS bit.
    Thanks again for everyone's time.

img_7057.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BugRobotics View Post
    I own an Eclipse pin chuck set as shown above and they work great. Another option I use is the Albrecht #0 drill chuck shown below.
    Thank, yea I both sizes of those on albrecht arbors. They're great for drilling tiny holes on the bridgeport, after spotting with a carbide drill. I also tweaked the springs on them such that it barely counterbalance the chuck, which makes the feel even better.

15. Likes BugRobotics liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shrink fit a collar around the extension rod instead of glueing the drill in it
    A hydraulic or mecanical shrink collar is also not so difficult to make
    Another idea is to make a taper on the OD of the extension and then press on a collar with the same taper Taper pin reamer might work for the collar
    Perhaps you need to grind the hole for the drill though
    Peter

17. Likes neanderthal mach liked this post