What's new
What's new

Does a granite surface plate need to be level?

addman16

Plastic
If I put a granite surface plate on a workbench which is smooth top but not level with the floor, is that going to matter? Do I need to level my workbench?

even granite can sag from its own weight. reason plates are supported on 3 points and level is a high precision level .0002"/10" can show a flat or not flat surface plate easily picking up if it is twisted

While the plate need not be perfectly level to maintain its accuracy, it is nice to have a level reference - very useful in certain measurements and inspections. I am using a sensitive clinometer (Hilger Watts, 1 arc-seconds) for some measurements, as well as an auto-colimator and a perfectly level surface makes this much easier.

Yes, the surface plate is completely useless unless you own a starrette precision level, AND have lots of "LASERS" (air quotes) so you
can get it absolutely aligned... with something.

Yes, the surface plate is completely useless unless you own a starrette precision level, AND have lots of "LASERS" (air quotes) so you
can get it absolutely aligned... with something.

Can someone please get me some sharks with frickin lasers on their foreheads?
<pinky to side of mouth>

Sometimes when transferring something with a weird shape from the surface plate to the mill I have found the only datum I can use is mother earth. I would say it is a good idea to have it at least as level as the degree of precision you normally work to.

Stable workbench with no 'rocking'.
Shim or otherwise level the surface plate at the three bearing points.
Level not necessary for use, but not level will aggravate you after while wondering where that ball rolled off to.
(My english teacher would love that last sentence.)

Back