What's new
What's new

does an internal lathe threading/grooving/profiling tool exist?

metalmagpie

Titanium
I have this crazy idea that somewhere out there there is a single tool which can take inserts to do internal threading or internal grooving or internal profiling. Obviously, you'd need to stock different kinds of inserts.

Ideally, you could also buy an external threading tool which took the same insert as the internal threading tool used.

But I can't find one.

I have tried looking at manufacturer's web sites (e.g. Iscar) and have difficulty understanding what the information is that they are presenting. They appear to be written for an audience that doesn't include me. :-(

Help!

metalmagpie

Full form threading tools exist, however, the insert for an external thread is of necessity, a very different grind than that for in internal thread.

Yes. PH Horn and others make them. I cannot for the life of me recall who it was that is marketing what is basically the exact same tool as the PH Horn ones. I use them all the time. The only caveat being that they aren't really, truly "profiling" in the sense like I _think_ you mean. Basically, they are threading and grooving tools and inserts, but many of the grooving profiles can indeed be used for profiling, albeit not as heavy as an engagement as a typical profiler. I like using an oversize groove insert to WEDM custom shapes, too. Makes life easier at times. I'll try and dig out the model numbers soon if someone hasn't beaten me to it by then.

I use an internal top notch bar that threads,grooves and can also profile to some degree. Lots of inserts available.

I have this crazy idea that somewhere out there there is a single tool which can take inserts to do internal threading or internal grooving or internal profiling. Obviously, you'd need to stock different kinds of inserts.

Ideally, you could also buy an external threading tool which took the same insert as the internal threading tool used.

But I can't find one.

I have tried looking at manufacturer's web sites (e.g. Iscar) and have difficulty understanding what the information is that they are presenting. They appear to be written for an audience that doesn't include me. :-(

Help!

metalmagpie
I have several different varieties but most are top notch Kennametal, turning tools and the boring bars to match.
The problem is one tool for small bores a bigger tool for bigger bores, etc., etc... until there is a tool box drawer full of them and still another one you need now but didn't buy. Pick your poison and step right in, the waters fine if you can learn to swim (and afford it).
Dan

Theoretically you could use a Threading bar to do everything but a shoulder. You could Thread OD by starting from he back of the Thread and feeding toward the front of the part, you could do simple material removal (very slowly), you could finish turn/bore, do internal profiles.

Robert

you can see what an internal threading tool looks like by going to Amazon and enter id threading tool. Also shows one type of insert.
jims

Those tools and inserts are fairly common. I have a number of different sized by Stellram. The threading tools have a verity of inserts for internal and external and left hand and right hand threading.

Like others said a few different brands. The slang for one style is "top notch" . I think kennametal.

What would you guys use though to get a thread right up close to the head of a bolt per se. I feel like an idiot for asking however all I have used is the top notch style which is offset from the point. The closest you can get is .100 away pretty much..

What would you guys use though to get a thread right up close to the head of a bolt per se. I feel like an idiot for asking however all I have used is the top notch style which is offset from the point. The closest you can get is .100 away pretty much..

You can get very, very close to 1/2 a pitch from a shoulder. .100" has nothing to do with it. If the pitch is 4 TPI the closest you can get is from the root of the thread to the shoulder of the part, so very close to .125", OTOH if you are threading 40 TPI, you should be getting very close to .015" from the shoulder.

I have a love/hate thing with TopNotch® Inserts. I think they are the old faithful, but if you look into it there are way better options. The world of Machinery tooling is HUGE.

Back