Does price reflect the effort to make anvil/crimp pieces for Amp hand crimper? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    I am sorry, I thought you were asking. You are obviously an expert on crimping and the tools involved so I must yield to your superior knowledge.
    If I attained a level of expert, it only took a few days of study and getting the right parts.
    Now the crimps are coming out good.
    Partly due to a manual that explains everything including how to calibrate.

The answer is probably "yes" to whether the dies are worth buying.
    Last edited by rons; 07-29-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    The key issue with crimpers is whether or not you can find the dimensions of the final crimp, with tolerances. And if you have a mic that will measure them, which is usually one with blade or pin anvils.

For a worn set of dies, if you have the dimensions, you can grind the mating faces to produce the correct dimensions, if you are too cheap to buy new, or the new are NLA.

Then for $19.95 crimpers, you still do not know whether they make the right crimp, unless you measure. At least some of them seem to have been designed by trying out the crimp and adjusting the die dimensions until the wire did not pull out anymore. They may or may not make a crimp with the correct dimensions.

Then also, the crimper makes a correct crimp on that manufacturer's terminals, of the type available when the crimper was made. The crimper may or may not make a good crimp on some other brand of terminals, even if the crimp dimensions are correct. The crimp depends on the metal thickness of the terminal as well as the starting and final outside dimensions.

When it matters, use of good crimpers on the correct brand and catalog number of terminal is essential.

Price?

You are paying for the somewhat low volume manufacturing, as well as the quality control on making the dies. There is a good bit of "because we can", and "where else yah gonna go?" thrown in, but if you are trying to make the correct termination, you are pretty well stuck. If you deal with ISO quality, or equivalent, then use of matching correct terminals and crimper will be required in the documentation. Again, where yah gonna go?
    The dies that go into those import holders have been made for more than 20 years. The import I refer to are those ones with the color coded circles
    above the die head. Been using mine for all kinds of spade connector work. There is no adjustment. But the AMP one here is not in that class because
    it is crimping small terminals.

Where I'm gonna go is to crimp up a couple thousand terminals with small gauge Teflon wires in orange, red, blue, etc.
    Franco Colombo said in Italy they don't say "Go to hell". Instead they say "Go to California". (From Pumping Iron movie)
    Last edited by rons; 07-29-2021 at 05:30 PM.