What's new
What's new

Does UK ignore the 3-point surface plate practice?

Cannonmn

Stainless
Why I ask:

5 Expert Tips for Granite Surface Plate Maintenance | Eley Metrology

This brief article by Eley Metrology recommends rotating your surface plate every so often. There’s no mention of a need to give the same 3-point support at the position to which it was rotated, which would complicate such rotation if only the granite was rotated, especially with oblong plates. First time I saw this article months ago I wrote an email inquiry to Eley using the form they provide, and never got a response.

If UK ignores the 3-point thing, does EU also?

Or maybe the Eley article was written by an upper-class suit-guy in the front office who doesn’t know very much about the topic?

Last edited:
Why I ask:

5 Expert Tips for Granite Surface Plate Maintenance | Eley Metrology

This brief article by Eley Metrology recommends rotating your surface plate every so often. There’s no mention of a need to give the same 3-point support at the position to which it was rotated, which would complicate such rotation if only the granite was rotated, especially with oblong plates. First time I saw this article months ago I wrote an email inquiry to Eley using the form they provide, and never got a response.

If UK ignores the 3-point thing, does EU also?

Or maybe the Eley article was written by an upper-class suit-guy in the front office who doesn’t know very much about the topic?

I don't think that has anything to do with how the plate is supported, simply as a means to prevent users from working in the same spot on the plate the whole time.

At least that's how I read it.

Yes, it's to even out wear on the plate. I'm not sure how many workshops bother with the practice!

Both of my Crown Windley (who became Eley Metrology) surface tables have five point mounts. Three to take the weight and two on either side of the single one to prevent tipping, snugged up so they are just contacting the mounting points on the underside of the table.

Back