What's new
What's new

Does your WD-40 look consistent?

rons

Diamond
In the process of consolidating 2 gallon cans (partially full) into 1 gallon I was pouring the stuff into a jar to see if anything settled to the bottom.
The consistency is not uniform after a couple of hours. The upper half of the jar is more clear than the bottom 1/2. Maybe giving a few more hours it will
be the bottom 1/3.

WD-40 is not contaminated:
So, should WD-40 be shaken before use. That includes shaking it before pouring it into a squirt bottle?
The issue I have is that if I pour it out from the top I will get one consistency, and if it is sitting in a spray bottle the heavier stuff sprays out
because the down tube of the spray nozzle goes to the bottom of the bottle.

WD-40 is holding moisture or something else:
Skim off the top to collect the clear parts?

WD-40 to start kindling:
I'm trying to use it up this way but I don't use the fireplace that much. It's actually a slow burning action which is safer than gasoline.

I would never buy it again when this stuff runs out.

I always take mine shaken, but not stirred.

It does have different distillate fractions. Frankly, don't much like the stuff, except as a cutting fluid for aluminum. Straw spray version handiest for that.

Surely by now someone is claiming it effective against the coronavirus?

I still use it for multiple tasks. The difference that I noticed is the price and usable volume. Seems the spray cans run out of propellant way before the liquid is gone. I don't think a guy should have to fool around and recharge or puncture the can to get the product out.
spaeth

I will give you a third good use for WD. I like to make paste on patterns for sheet metal and some other kinds of layout work. The WD is a good way to remove those labels when they stick too well to the metal. If the label is not fluid proof, WD will soak through it and loosen the adhesive, even the permanent style adhesives.

As for it's appearance, I have some older stock (10 years?) and it has a cloudy look. Still seems to work. I do shake it before pouring into a smaller container. I mostly use it in squirt bottles of various kinds.

Yes, that's normal.

I stopped buying WD40 a couple years ago. Use windex for aluminum (works better and doesn't contaminate stuff for painting/plating.

I use diesel fuel in a weed sprayer for cleaning machines and anything else I ever used WD40 for.

I think straight up diesel fuel works better, stinks less and it's way cheaper/more convenient.

a long time ago I remember WD40 having some anti-corrosion properties. The new stuff does not. I think they put some kind rust accelerator in it. Shit is garbage.

Better then diesel fuel and with very little smell is jet fuel. I use it instead of kerosene in lanterns etc.

Never would have thought of that, Bill. Think it also makes the photons slippery?

More seriously, not knowing the ingredients I'd wonder what's being combusted and also if there is a long-term residue in orifices (or is it wick type rather than Coleman-type lanterns you're using). My own long-ago experience with WD-40 is that it leaves a residue when slathered on as a hoped-for rust protectant. Not sure with the newer formulation, but it was lousy as a protectant in my tests and just so-so as a penetrant as well.

I filled two Laura Scudder's peanut jars (larger size) with WD-40 and waited 1/2 day. The settling action has left a 3/4 inch tall layer
at the bottom of each jar which looks like crud. The rest of the jar is transparent. I'm wondering if the crud is the essential ingredient
of the WD-40 formula.

WD =Water Dispersant...magic stuff when a big water splash makes your car cut out in the pouring rain......quick spray of WD 40 inside the cap ,cap put back ,outside the cap ,all over the leads and plugs .....crank the motor,and you re off........Unfortunately ,cars havent had dizzys for many years ,nor dizzy caps ,nor long ignition leads..... ...Possibly the silicone component is settling from the lighter carrier liquid...."Shake well before use".........You could actually see the water droplets being pushed away by the spray,and run it out of the cap...no mobile phones either then .

Better then diesel fuel and with very little smell is jet fuel. I use it instead of kerosene in lanterns etc.

I watched a video about jet plane trails left in the sky. The conspiracy people say that the atmosphere is being engineered by the aerosol
action of additives. The jet cabin air is partially made up from the outside atmosphere. The pilots and attendants have a abnormal higher
level of respiratory problems because of this, which has been seen with medical insurance claims. Supposedly the airlines don't know about
what's in the fuel. For me, I find it helpful to look up at the trails and stretch my neck muscles as I say "those mother forkers"...

It's called Geoengineering.

I used to get jet fuel free.....seems its stale after 30 days ,and dumped .....runs diesel trucks very nicley ,even better when you know youre motoring free ......Then the miserable govt stopped any other use ,and put a tracing requirement on even the discarded stuff.....Still ,free fuel for 20 years aint bad.

Yeah....my WD is cloudy. I use it in a few spray bottles and noticed last time I was filling one of the bottles that it was cloudy.

i thought jet fuel was kerosene. (might be a linguistical thing.)

Just more refined. I have a friend that flies for United. He said he and the other pilots will smuggle out some fuel that they drain out of their tanks in routine maintenance. Says it really cleans out the woodstove.... :Nono:

WD-40 contains wax, which is one reason knowledgeable people don't advise its use as a lubricant instead of oil. The wax does settle in storage and needs to re-incorporated before use.

I keep a spray can around to keep garden tools from rusting but other than that I have no use for the stuff.

Yes, it does separate. If you buy a gallon and put it in a clear container then some time later (my experience in the home shop) you will get a bunch of white substance on the bottom of a bottle. I have yet to find out that it will diminish WD40 claimed properties. Even separated it still cleans pretty good. I also use it as a cutting fluid for aluminum. I'd rather use kerosene or a diesel fuel for that, but in the home shop I try to keep smells to the minimum.

Back