What's new
What's new

Dogs

fc150

Plastic
What do guys do about dogs roaming into the shop.I keep mine out for obvious reasons but a lot of the videos I watch you see dogs in the background. Do I worry to much or don't they worry enough?

I don't own dogs - that solves the problem. I also post threads with meaningful titles and that have OT when they are off topic.

I don't own dogs - that solves the problem. I also post threads with meaningful titles and that have OT when they are off topic.

I can understand a shop dog in your own shop, if for no other reason than they're an alarm system of sorts. What I don't understand is the current trend of taking your dog EVERYWHERE you go. It's stupid and childish.

Holiday-Inn-London-Brentford-Lock-9.jpg

That's just beautiful Terry. Sometimes I think I would like to take a walk, on a soft, sweet summer evening. Maybe on pier just like that, a small cafe, exotic women.....wait!!! What was this Thread about?

R

I thought this thread was going to be about how to drive a workpiece on a lathe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have issues with snakes inviting themselves in, two rat snakes and a black racer in the 7 years I have lived here have came in the shop. I don't have any luck chasing them out or catching them, I just leave the side door open overnight and they leave on their own. I find it strange they would come in with all the noise. I do have lizards and toads come in, maybe the snakes are looking for dinner.

I have issues with snakes inviting themselves in, two rat snakes and a black racer in the 7 years I have lived here have came in the shop. I don't have any luck chasing them out or catching them, I just leave the side door open overnight and they leave on their own. I find it strange they would come in with all the noise. I do have lizards and toads come in, maybe the snakes are looking for dinner.

Do you have mice? The snakes usually looking for a meal. They can smell the mice. I have lizards year round. They live in the sand under my floor. They can get under the floor thru the gap (1/2") between the floor and the foundation. The lizards pretty much keep the spiders gone.

JH

I had a squirel get in my shop and I didn't find out until the next morning. That wouldn't happen if a dog was in my shop. How big a problem a dog in a shop is depends on the shop. Mine is clean enough to walk around barefoot, so it's pretty dog safe.

Dogs are not OT to a good shop, cats yes, dogs no.

You need a pet Wolverine or Badger. Maybe quit keeping Gerbils around the shop.

R

I had a squirel get in my shop and I didn't find out until the next morning. That wouldn't happen if a dog was in my shop. How big a problem a dog in a shop is depends on the shop.

Might want to take the leash off first.....:skep:

Attachments

• Grimmy and Squirrel.jpg
    Grimmy and Squirrel.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 229

Do you have mice? The snakes usually looking for a meal. They can smell the mice. I have lizards year round. They live in the sand under my floor. They can get under the floor thru the gap (1/2") between the floor and the foundation. The lizards pretty much keep the spiders gone.

JH

I strangely have had mice in the house, the material shed, but never in the shop, never seen one or even a mouse turd. I frequently see snakes on the wooded property, fortunately only the non-poisonous ones. I seem to attract snakes, during the summer I was finishing a Big Mac in the library parking lot and a rat snake crawled up the driver side door of my SUV and over my side mirror.

Cole your an ignorant ass, you have offended a lot of people & pissed me off.
We love our dogs, and a lot of folks take their dogs along when possible. If your not secure enough with your man hood or lack their of to believe that a person can't love a dog. I feel sorry for you.
Now to discuss the topic, we heard enough about Cole's inadequacy. Shop dogs are cool; but as their guardians we need to make sure the shop is safe for Fido (if he is on the floor as opposed an office). Chips can get in paws, ethylene glycol (antifreeze and tig torch coolant) are VERY toxic and they are sweet tasting.
A lot depends on the dog too, some have that sense of when to clear off in potentially dangerous situation. I hand a lab who came to work with me every day; he had that sense he would sleep in my office and every few hours he would come out see what was going on, say hey to the workers and go back to sleep.
Let us not forget welding, Dogs do not know not stare at the arc, and yup it will damage their eye just as it would ours. So take precaution, this one thing where the dog will be closed in an office if welding or O/A is going on.

Last edited:
I had a squirel get in my shop and I didn't find out until the next morning. That wouldn't happen if a dog was in my shop. How big a problem a dog in a shop is depends on the shop. Mine is clean enough to walk around barefoot, so it's pretty dog safe.

Dogs are not OT to a good shop, cats yes, dogs no.

The last statement notwithstanding, I have a PM friend that has 6 really cool shop cats. Perhaps he's reading this ...

Chips in paws are a problem.
If brought up in a machine shop they may also eat metal chips when young. Luckily mine have throw this up once fed real food.
Left to play outside "stealing" of a friendly dog roaming an industrial place can be a problem. BTDT.
Hearing the outside cameras go off and looking up to see someone trying to "rescue" my dog has happened many times.
My Sammy was "kidnapped" twice. Once while the neighbor was screaming at the culprits "What are you doing, that dog lives here."

Some people or customers that come to visit don't like or are afraid of dogs so you need a crate they will be happy to go lay in.
I'd had a vendor call me to say "I'm in the parking lot but there is this big white dog laying next to the door".
As a dog owner and lover you have to understand that not all people are.

I have three cats at home and the dog who lives in both the shop and house.
The dog has a mile higher killing rate of mice.
Bob

Animals have no place in a shop. In most cases, women do neither. A shop is a place of work and/or business - not a zoo, farm, or sandwich bar.

My Siberian Husky Nova comes to the shop with me every day. He is mostly content to sleep under my desk on his bed, and he likes to come out and visit with customers. Most of my regular customers like him and want to see him when they come by. Occasionally I'll have someone who isn't fond of animals stop in, and I just shut the office door and its all good.

In the summer time he likes to lay on the cool concrete out in the shop.

Most shops I have worked at had shop dogs. I just thought it was normal.

If I'm doing a bunch of welding or grinding I will usually close him in the office so he doesn't get hurt, but for the most part he's pretty good at staying out of the way.

I would hate to have a dog who stays home alone all day. We both work and don't have kids, so there is no one at the house 10 hours a day. He's much happier to hang out with me at the shop.

One of the benefits of being your own boss, I suppose.

41404959920_e83c683f85_b.jpg

Dogs can be a good companion. When your children are grown there is a void. I spent a year fighting cancer. One of my three dogs stayed by my side full time. She knew I was sick. Mankind has made dogs a very loyal friend.
I don't understand people that make dogs aggressive.
What are they hiding. It's a liability in my eyes. My dogs greet everyone friendly but will bark when a car arrives.

Back