What's new
What's new

DOM tube : Quick price check

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, just wanted to throw out a quick question about DOM pricing.

I might be a bit naive with respect to the manufacturing of DOM tubing and what it takes to make it right, but to me the price / weight seems a bit high.
Can someone please shed some light on whether the following is high / low / within ballpark:

2.0 OD x .095 wall - 1000' order - $7.30/FT - approx $3.80/lb
1.75 OD x .065 wall - 2600' order - $5.90 /FT - approx $5.08/lb

Thank You

Your price on 2" x 0.095" might be a touch high for the quantity, but it's not outlandish. I just got a small quantity of 2.25" x 0.120" and it was in the $8.00/ft range, I don't have the invoice in front of me at the moment.

I've bought several sizes of DOM recently in small quantities (1-2 full lengths) and it's been approximately double the price of the same size in ERW tube.

I don't really keep up with DOM pricing, but a quick price check at ALRO shows about $1.40 per lb for 2" and $1.62 per lb for 1.75" at those quantities. Of course, that would not include delivery which could be a significant factor.

It’s been my experience that DOM tubing varies in pricing significantly. Most of the stuff I’ve used recently is milled in India. My guess is DOM winds up getting priced as a commodity and the prices go up when the freighter is en route or clearing customs... as soon as it’s unloaded the price starts dropping until the supply starts decreasing. Additionally, 0.090” wall is more common, in my experience. If your project can use the (slightly) thinner wall tubing that may help you shave some pennies.

Jeremy

Thank you for the info guys!

No big deal, this project can swallow these prices, I was just curious if this is a standard rate on DOM.

Prices seem very high to me. End of October I had some dom and chrome moly tubing delivered. 20ft length of 2.25" x .188" wall was $7.52 a ft. 200ft of 1.25" x .120" wall was $2.45 a ft. 300ft of 1.25" x .120" wall 4130 dom was $4.78 a ft.

Back