What's new
What's new

Dorian Quadra Indexing Quick Change Tool Post question

Andy St

Stainless
Hi
I looked on Dorians web site but didn't see the answer to my question. A local seller has one of these. It seems like a great deal. Will the Quadra posts hold either one or two normal tool holders? I know that to hold all four you would need the holders with the clipped corners.
If I get the toolpost I could use my old holders on one or two opposite side and still be able to take advantage of the indexing.
I have two older Fims post that used the same clipped corner to hold three but they didn't have the indexing feature.
It seems to be raining Dorian tool posts. I just got a normal one in the mail yesterday.

Andy

Hi Andy,
Personally I think these tool posts are the best! Yes, you can just use two like you mentioned. Or you can clip the corners on the mill or chop saw and use all four. Here's a pic of my setup for threading piston rod stock. Most of the holders are Chinese. Aloris and Dorian are too hard to cut. You can see in the aerial view that there is a hex pin sticking up at each station. I stuck them in there so the holes wouldn't load with chips. I use a socket head screw with a handle welded to it to tighten each tool to the post.

toolp1.jpg Photo by rbehner | Photobucket

Hi Ray
Just what I thought so glad you were able to confirm it for me. Nice set up and photos as usual from you.
Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Also good to know the imports are softer the US made one are tough.

Andy

how much is the tool post your talking about? i see one at $1'700.
I ended up yesterday with the post for a trade. He wanted $60 for it a steal even though it wasn't really the size I wanted. Anyway we were talking and he mentioned needing some aluminum welded up. So the price was a little of my time some TIG rod and argon.
It's an axa but I wanted a bxa I think I can still us it.
I don't thing the height difference will be a problem.
Andy

Back