What's new
What's new

Double ended stud holding in a 5c collet production run

saadracing

Plastic
We are manufacturing a double ended stud where the center of the body is smaller than the major diameter of the threads on both ends. Threading one side is not a problem but flipping it over posses the problem. I want to use the 5c collet to help maintain concentricity but cannot grab the threads in the collet, only the body. I am use a thread roller and has a tremendous amount of torque so I am clamping the body with as much force as possible. The only solution was to remove the collet, insert the stud from the rear of the collet and then re-insert the collet back into the lathe and set my clamping force again. Fine for a few studs, but not for what we are trying to achieve as this is a repeat job of 100+pcs. Here are the details of what we have

Doall heavy duty manual lathe model LS17
Manual 5c collet closer
Thread rolling H11 annealed to 8rc
7/16-20 on one end and 11mm x 1.5 on the other
Body is cut to 7/16 pre-rolled diameter with no wrench hex (i.e machine a collet with the threads and thread the stud into it as it will tighten in the collet when roller with no "easy" removal)

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

I don't think you can get there with a 5C.

3-jaw with steel soft jaws, recessed behind to allow clamping the center section. This should give plenty of concentricity as long as your 3-jaw isn't knackered.

Some other collet type, with wider collapse range, might work fine too depending on how much less the center is than the thread major.

Regards.

Mike

Body diameter is 0.4085" and rolled major is 0.4350" for a class 3b fit. Just enough difference combined with the extra grip needed.

I am not finding any information on the wider collapse range collet. Do you any more information?

Would like to stay with the collet closer as it is much faster on change over than a 3 jaw, but my 3 jaw is in great shape if absolutely necessary.

You can cut threads in a sacrificial 5c collet and clamp on the threads on your 2nd op.

Do you turn off some of the diameter between the threads? Could you thread the thing first, clamping on the unturned diameter, then turn it down after threading? This would give you more diameter to grip.

With the required clamp load needed to hold the stud in place and the rotational torque load of the rolling head, i am concerned about damaging the threads. Thoughts?

With the required clamp load needed to hold the stud in place and the rotational torque load of the rolling head, i am concerned about damaging the threads. Thoughts?

Try one. Spin a gauge on the clamped threads when you're done and see.

Use a combination of what was said in posts 4 & 5: cut threads in a steel split bush, (split it completely, into 2 parts so you can simply clap it on your stud), then insert that into an appropriately sized regular collet. A little care in making the split bush and you're good to go.

Thread rolling

You might think about sending parts out to thread rolling shop. Where the parts are dropped thru the thread rollers and that way you don't have to grip them at all. It used to cost me about the same to cut or roll threads this way. And I used to get 316 stainless parts knurled this way and always ended up with good knurls.
I used Downey Grinding in Downey Ca. jimsehr

Do you turn off some of the diameter between the threads? Could you thread the thing first, clamping on the unturned diameter, then turn it down after threading? This would give you more diameter to grip.

We are having them centerless ground to the specified diameters and then we do the finishing opts so unfortunately not an option. Thanks though

We have collets that are straight (no taper) with 9/16" OD, kinda like the bush idea above but with 3 slots like a 5c, and also a flange to butt up against ur 5c collet. You would unclamp 5c collet > remove 9/16" OD collet with part in it > remove part from 9/16" OD collet > insert new part in to small collet > butt flange of small collet against face of 5c collet > push part against stop > clamp. It's very repeatable (concentricity and length) and and u can still maintain high clamping pressure. I'll check in the morning if there are collet style markings and take some pictures for u if Ud like.

We have collets that are straight (no taper) with 9/16" OD, kinda like the bush idea above but with 3 slots like a 5c, and also a flange to butt up against ur 5c collet. You would unclamp 5c collet > remove 9/16" OD collet with part in it > remove part from 9/16" OD collet > insert new part in to small collet > butt flange of small collet against face of 5c collet > push part against stop > clamp. It's very repeatable (concentricity and length) and and u can still maintain high clamping pressure. I'll check in the morning if there are collet style markings and take some pictures for u if Ud like.

Yes please!

No markings other than the size. Here's a couple pictures

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456320532.655047.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456320549.377369.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456320560.349348.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456320568.804042.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456320577.760937.jpg

If u have a choice I'd recommend something larger. These are limited to 1/2" and under and you obviously can't fit anything larger than 9/16" thru ur 5c collet. If I could choose I would go with collets that fit into like a 1" 5c collet.

Back