What's new
What's new

Drain Plug for 1956 LeBlond Regal 15 X 30 Head and Quick Change Gear Box?

efleming

Plastic
I've searched this forum and this question has been asked in the past but never answered.

I have a 1956 LeBlond Regal 15 X 30 and would like to change the oil in the Head and quick change gear box. The manual indicates the fill points of which I've easily located but, it does not reference drain plugs for either of these areas. I've searched high and low to no avail.

In prior posts, people with different types of lathes have chimed in to say where their drain plug is. I am looking for feedback from someone with a LeBlond Regal 13" - 19" of the 1950's era that may have an answer to what the normal practice is to change the oil in this lathe for these areas. A person certainly could remove the top gear cover and pump the oil out of the head then pour 10 quarts of new oil in the reservoir. Also you could get a pump to get the oil out of the quick change box through the fill hole. Before I go though these gymnastics, I thought I'd ask current or former LeBlond Regal owners of their experience to best remove the oil from this particular machine.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

attachment.php

Try taking the left end cover off of the lathe. The oil drain should be on QCGB left side , front bottom .
That’s where it is on my 13” servo shift .

Well I finally heard back from LeBlond. There is no oil drain for this lathe. Pop the top and start pumping. Here's a picture of the process. Also the specifications call for SAE 30 oil of 500 sec. 160 degrees. The second picture shows a locally sourced equivalent oil of this specification. Non-Detergent SAE 30 ISO 100.

Hopefully this post will help others that get this model lathe in the future.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back