Draw nuts for L00 spindles
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Draw nuts for L00 spindles

Are draw nuts for L00 spindles interchangeable between old South Bend and Clausing lathes? I need draw nut for Clausing 5900 series L00 spindle, but I can only find reasonable deal on South Bend L00 draw nut. Will it work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hfletcher View Post
    Are draw nuts for L00 spindles interchangeable between old South Bend and Clausing lathes? I need draw nut for Clausing 5900 series L00 spindle, but I can only find reasonable deal on South Bend L00 draw nut. Will it work?
    If made to this standard. Requires getting spindle out to replace them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails l-type-nuts.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ There not all made that way, the one on my Harrison L11A is a 2 piece job, back threaded od washer screws into the nut, got a locking pin, very neat, very simple.

I would not want to bet on any nut working on any spindle, more than possible the flange details are diffrent, yet it would still work just fine with the chuck backplates. That said, it still more than likely may work well enough to then use the lathe to make a perfect one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you gentlemen for your input. I now pretty confident a South Bend nut will function perfectly on my clausing spindle. South Bend sells it for $149 Clausing's price is over $400. If I encounter a problem, I'll post back here for everyone's info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hfletcher:

Do you **really** need to replace the draw nut? On my 5914, the spanner "pin" holes on the nut were badly worn. If you intend to replace the nut due to the same condition, you could do the same as I did - I opened up the pin holes and welded a larger dia pin onto the pin spanner. I used a standard 0.5 inch drill to start the holes and then ground a near flat on a 0.5 inch drill and used the now larger dia holes in the draw nut as a pilot. Reworked draw nut has worked well for the past 15+ years of part time use. I'm too lazy to consider dismantling the head if I don't need to.