What's new
What's new

Drill bit sharpener recommendations?

kathytorres

Plastic
I recently came into possession of a whole box of drill bits from maybe 1/16" up to 3/4" and they all probably need to be sharpened.

I've been thinking about getting a drill bit sharpener for some time but don't know what good ones are out there and how much I should expect to pay.

The "Drill Doctor" and a few others look like classic "happy homeowner" specials that wives buy and husbands toss, so I'm kind of leery of them. If they're actually good machines, pls correct me.

I would like a jig or machine that can change the bevel angle depending on what the bit is to be used for since I do some metalworking in addition to woodworking.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kathy is back, seeing how Nicole slid off the first page....Just like I predicted
and just like clockwork.

3 times this has been proven since I posted it.

For smaller drills (up to 1/4") the CHRISTEN LC-21 is a great tool. For larger drills (up to 1.5") the CHRISTEN 2-32 is probably the best machine available. Both are quite expensive new but often found at very reasonable prices in used condition. For example I've picked up the LC-21 for under $100.00 and after a few hours of work to fix a number of issues it is as good as new.

Drill Doctors are terrible. My boss would not let me grind bits by hand when we bought a Mill and only allowed grinding on the Drill Doctor. I brought in two handfuls of drill bits, one sharpened by hand and the other sharpened on the Drill Doctor, to prove that hand grinding was more accurate.

I just buy new drills because I hand grind them kind of special for drilling through tubing but I'm eyeballing a Darex to get in maybe a year.

Again, a little welcome to the forum from Canuckistan.
canada.gif

Kathy is back, seeing how Nicole slid off the first page....Just like I predicted
and just like clockwork.

3 times this has been proven since I posted it.

She (or whatever) is getting much better at planting the spam though. Trying to encourage a conversation. It might even be a human.

Kathy if you're a Human say chittychittybangbang. She might be Gender Fluid. I don't think it's a bot, which translates to; Kathy get a fucking job where people don't simply despise you and reject you. Imagine getting to know you :eek:

Back