What's new
What's new

Drill methods and bits for structural beams

Ezmetal71

Plastic
What type/brand drill bits do you guys use to drill holes in structural beams (wide flange W type)?
I would normally put them onto milling machine, but this time they are way too long, so mag drill is proabbly a way to go.

I wish. Prints specifically call for drilled holes. This customer does not accept punching and thermal cutting

Then have the supplier drill them instead on their beam line. Ours has no problem doing that, if yours can't drill them, find a new one.

TILAN COBALT .5" drill with just air blowing on it. I got about 1000 holes with 1 bit when I made my cantilever stock racks. Drilled in my VMC. Bit was still good when I was done. I used a mag drill when I built my bridge crane system. Splice plates had a fussy hole pattern and I made a .75" steel template to drill through. Twist drill bits in mag drills tend to drift away from the base because of the play in the smaller machines. Template kept the hole pattern spot on.

What Atomarc said. Annular cutters in a mag drill are made for that work. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I have used them in for many holes. They work fast and cut nice round holes.

I’ve seen our local suppliers beam processing machine, it can drill, punch mill, even bend tounges, oddly it’s not that expensive, adds about 20%, much more fun than a rotabroach, the next course of action
Mark

I wish. Prints specifically call for drilled holes. This customer does not accept punching and thermal cutting

There is a significant hit to fatigue properties with thermal cutting. If you want to punch the holes, the usual routine is to subpunch and ream.

For drilling, either annular cutters or have someone with a beam line do it.

if the customer does not allow punched holes better check they may not allow saw cut ,may require mill cutting of ends .Most Heavy columns (14x 500)require mill ends for load bearing.
just my two cents

Thanks guys! Looks like a mag drill and annular cutters is the way to go, unless I find a steel supplier who offers beam processing

allied makes inserts for structural shapes. They run a slower rpm and feed than the ones for milling machines. Beams are not rigid. Sounds like hole quality is issue, so allied thin wall structural inserts are the way to go. Clean hole, a little slow (compared to helix gen3 or even spade gen 2 inserts.
Our drill line limits out at 1500 rpm, and rarely do I need to detune speeds to accommodate their recommendations. Gen 3 carbides are detuned from 13/16 and under for rpm limits of our machine.
Mag drill with hougans is for forgotten or changed holes, back in the dark ages this is how all beams were done. Then we got punch lines, drill lines, and moved to coping (plasma) lines. Little secret, you can drill a hole faster than you can burn a hole 9 out of 10 times- even before clean up times.

never heard of milled beam ends, ever.

Back