What's new
What's new

Drill Press Arbor Change?

Mark Proulx

Plastic
I have an old Powermatic drill press that is fitted with a #2 Morse taper. Is it possible to remove this taper and fit the machine with a #3 taper?

PowermaticSpindle.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Is there enough meat to bore out the existing taper and fit an MT3 sleeve? That'd probably be my choice.

EDIT- what happens when you remove that collar on top?

Thanks for replying. It's not worth the trouble to bore it out to an MT3. I thought that the collar might be there to act as a jacking mechanism to separate the taper sleeve from the spindle shaft. I put a spanner wrench on the collar and gave it a few hammer taps, but no luck. I am reluctant to reef on it to any greater extent until I know that I'm not doing something wrong.

The morse taper socket has been integral to the spindle in every drill press I've messed with.

Are you beefing up the motor and belt to match the increased capacity of your new MT socket? Changing the pulleys to get some slower speeds for driving those larger bits?

Thanks for replying. It's not worth the trouble to bore it out to an MT3. I thought that the collar might be there to act as a jacking mechanism to separate the taper sleeve from the spindle shaft. I put a spanner wrench on the collar and gave it a few hammer taps, but no luck. I am reluctant to reef on it to any greater extent until I know that I'm not doing something wrong.

The collar with the spanner wrench hole indicates that you have a spindle with a 33 Jacobs taper and locking collar. These spindles were common on 1/2" capacity drill presses around 1960. I had one on a Craftsman floor model drill press in 1962 and also on a newer Delta-Rockwell drill press. The system allowed you to easily remove a 1/2" Jacobs chuck or MT2 adapter or any of several other accessories for routing, grinding or polishing. The spindle and collar have a right hand thread. The collar is retained to the accessory or chuck with a snap ring. Unscrewing the collar will force the accessory off the taper.

Finding an MT3 adapter with the 33JT and collar may be difficult. The chucks are still around, but not common. I don't have an old Rockwell catalog handy, but I suspect they did not sell an MT3 adapter for a 1/2" capacity drill press.

On my Rockwell, I replaced the 33C spindle with a solid MT2 spindle, shown in the picture. It was pretty simple to make the MT2 spindle from a factory-made extension, and I could have made it from an MT3 extension. I don't know how the Powermatic spindles are designed.

Larry

Rockwell 17 DP Spindle 1 (2).jpg

Thanks, Larry. The question arose when I went to purchase a 1" twist drill with a taper shank. I didn't realize until I received my drill that at that diameter, the drills usually come with a #3 taper. Since I'm in the middle of rebuilding three other machines, taking on the job of modifying this one isn't in the cards. I found a source for drills with #2 tapers and ordered some from there.

@fciron:

My intent is not to operate with bit diameters larger than about 1". The problem arose when I went to purchase a 1" twist drill with a taper shank. I didn't realize until I received it that at that diameter, drills usually come with a #3 taper. Since I'm in the middle of rebuilding three other machines, taking on the job of modifying this one isn't in the cards. I found a source for drills with #2 tapers and ordered some from there. Nonetheless, thank you for replying!

The morse taper socket has been integral to the spindle in every drill press I've messed with.
My early 1950's Alzmetall AB5/S #5 MT for damned-sure is "integral".

The early 1940's Walker-Turner came in my door with a straight cylinder OD gadget, #2 MT internally.

W-T had a knurled, pin-spanner operated jacking ring above it . .sounds as if it is the same as the OP has?

Mine WORKED. MT # 2 adapter came OFF.

The "native" spindle nose turned out to be a common Jacobs taper. JT # 3 I THINK? But that was around 1974?

A new Jacobs chuck went right into place. Still there. I do try to not get stoopid with it.

Back