What's new
What's new

Drillbit stuck in rod

Drilldept

Plastic
Hello! I was drilling a 0.8mm hole in a steel rod, and the drill bit broke inside of the hole when i came through. Any idea on how I could possibly get the drill bit out of the hole? I have tried pulling it out with a tweezer but there isn’t material enough to get a hold of it. I also tried to force it out with another drillbit infront of a hammer, but they all broke.

Here’s a picture of the rod and the bit stuck in it: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The steel rod have been machined with multiple holes from the other side that connect to this (final) hole. Remaking everything from scratch will be much work, so I really need to get the bit out..

Is it a carbide drill?

Get after it with a hammer and a small piece of steel. Break it up into little chunks.

If it's HSS, get a tiny endmill, peck it out. It's slow, but it works. Make sure to blow the hole out frequently to get the swarf out.

It’s HSS. Can I drill it out with a larger (1.5mm HSS) bit?

Actually it works better if you try using a Drill made out of Marshmallow.

Since you broke it on break through.....Endmill the break out with a .8mm carbide Tool, until you're into the hole, then punch it out with a punch.

R

Careful selecting a username around here, yours implies that you might know the very basics of Drilling and Drills.

Hello! I was drilling a 0.8mm hole in a steel rod, and the drill bit broke inside of the hole when i came through. Any idea on how I could possibly get the drill bit out of the hole? I have tried pulling it out with a tweezer but there isn’t material enough to get a hold of it. I also tried to force it out with another drillbit infront of a hammer, but they all broke.

Here’s a picture of the rod and the bit stuck in it: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

if the length of the piece is not critical put in lathe and shave off what you need to grab the bit with pliers or vise grip and rotate to the left back the bit out

Actually it works better if you try using a Drill made out of Marshmallow.

Since you broke it on break through.....Endmill the break out with a .8mm carbide Tool, until you're into the hole, then punch it out with a punch.

R

Careful selecting a username around here, yours implies that you might know the very basics of Drilling and Drills.

Maybe he meant Drilderp..? :D :stirthepot:

I would grind off the broken drill flush to the part.

Use a smaller carbide drill and gently carefully drill down through the center of the broken drill, use Tap magic pro 3 lubricant and clear the chips frequently.

Clear away cut metal frequently

Absolute minimum pressure

Take an hour to do it

After you bore down through it will almost fall out

Don't make another part like this the same was, you need to spend more time figuring out what is wrong that you are doing

Sorry you have to do metric

I'm with Rob. If it snapped while breaking through just take a small punch and knock it out backwards. Most of the hole is already there, should be easy and the drill should only be tight at the exit point. Just don't use another drill bit as a punch... Could help to mount the punch in an endmill holder or drill chuck to help keep alignment, then use the machine to align it over the hole and push the broken drill out.

Could it be, stuck because of lack of proper lÜÜB ?

Might be welded in place, and making the part worthless.

What material ?

What machine did you drill this on ?

I would grind off the broken drill flush to the part.

Use a smaller carbide drill and gently carefully drill down through the center of the broken drill, use Tap magic pro 3 lubricant and clear the chips frequently.

Clear away cut metal frequently

Absolute minimum pressure

Take an hour to do it

After you bore down through it will almost fall out

Don't make another part like this the same was, you need to spend more time figuring out what is wrong that you are doing

Sorry you have to do metric

Use a flat end end mill. The drill point will cause the drill to wander and break.

Tom

The steel rod have been machined with multiple holes from the other side that connect to this (final) hole. Remaking everything from scratch will be much work, so I really need to get the bit out..

Like it or not MORE work, yet to get it out and then.. the rod is buggered as well?

You don't HAVE any of the more reliable means that do not also near-as-dammit ASSURE you will f**k-up the rod in the effort ANYWAY. Don't HAVE the experience, dexterity, machine-tools, nor tooling to improve chances of success.

Or it would have been OUT, already, drills being dead-easy compared to bustid TAPS!

QED

Spark erosion / EDM, specifically - which one usually hires done.

Can't get that done? Costs too much? Make a new rod and be more CAREFUL.

If you were not already aware of it, "start over" - small parts more than massive castings, of course - is the preferred professional "cheat", if only because we have the most accurate sense of what it will cost in material and TIME, can plan accordingly and "JFDI" to plan.

Shit happens.

Life is always too short and deadlines for delivery always too close to roll-dice on praying, hoping, wishing, whining, masturbating, or other general fucking about at solutions we cannot implement even if we were willing.

Back