What's new
What's new

Drilled A Hole In My Vise--AAAAHHH!!!

steve45

Stainless
I feel like such a moron! I was working on an 8" wide plate and reversed the jaw on the moving jaw. When I drilled the hole, I thought to myself that the bit should have broken through, but it hadn't. Oh, crap! Perhaps I can use it for a locating pin or something so it looks like I planned to do it...

At least it was my old Kurt, not my brand new one!

Well I must be a 'co-moron' because I did exactly the same thing. When you swap the jaw in that fashion it's so easy not to picture in your mind what's hidden underneath that innocent looking plate to be drilled. I left my little hole empty as a constant reminder not to do it again.

Stuart

In your shoes I'd plug those holes ASAP, with a threaded rod etc (cut off and dressed flat - of course ;) ), IME vises angle plates drill tables with holes are an almighty PITA

Last edited:
herd tell of a guy that drilled a hole dead center of the tee slot on center of table travel on a knee mill and he reamed the hole out and installed a flush oilier and stamped oil . don't know if its true or not but it sounds good

Not various pins but various lengths of carriage bolts with a nut to adjust the height similar to a quick change toolpost, in reverse.
Bill D

I read "Drilled A Hole AHHH" and had to click on it.

I'm a little bit disappointed if I'm perfectly honest.

Drill another one mirrored across the center line, then plug them and face flat. Or even use some threaded plugs so it looks like there's a purpose to them. Viola, looks like it was intentional.

The best machinist is not the one who never makes mistakes. It's the ones who can repair their fuckups the best :D

An old guy who's long gone now had a hobby shop in a very small building in a trailer park, I don't remember how I met him but he asked if I'd help him sell all his tools and a lathe and a nearly new Taiwanese BP clone. He was moving into a "Home".

My wife, who has a passion for garage sales did everything that the old guy couldn't get around to do, for 10% of the take. She'd ask what the small tools cost and mark it all down 50%, except that lathe and mill.

I'd just bought one just like it and we decided to go for 75% IIRC, and there it sat with a nice new vise bolted down on the day of the sale.

The next Saturday a guy bought that mill and first thing he does is turn the head upside down trying to get the weight lower, and then took the vise off.

The old codger had drilled and lined up the vise with two 3/8" dowel pins! The buyer looked upset, I felt sheepish but he knew we were just selling it for the old guy.

Lesson, always take the tooling off before buying.

Oh, come on guys, it happens. Put a little putty in it and move on. The vise still works 100% as it did before.
Of course, if it was my vise I would be pricing a repair part.

Drill another one mirrored across the center line, then plug them and face flat. Or even use some threaded plugs so it looks like there's a purpose to them. Viola, looks like it was intentional.

The best machinist is not the one who never makes mistakes. It's the ones who can repair their fuckups the best :D

I was always told that the guys that never made any mistakes were the ones that never did anything.

I love the aerospace auctions where they have 300 lots of Kurt vises for sale. The purdy ones get bids like crazy. 6" ones selling for hundreds a piece.

I'll pick out the ugliest MF'rs and place the opening bid, usually around $40 a piece.

I don't think I have ever drilled into a vise body unintentionally, I've nicked a few jaws, but most of my vises have a few holes in them already. Hasn't prevented any money from being made with them.

I bought one Kurt that looked horrible. It was real mess in the pictures. Looked all rusty and covered in chips. Turned out it was covered in about 5 pounds of modeling clay to channel coolant during an operation on a profile mill. The putty pulled right off and there was a like-new vise under there.

Back