What's new
What's new

OT - Romex Stapler Question

Bruce Griffing

Titanium
I am planning to wire our new house. It is not yet started, but will be soon. I wired my present shop and used a hammer and standard staples for all of the Romex. I know there are hand held mechanical staplers for this task and that may be a good choice. Are there good choices in cordless or air operated staplers for Romex? Or is the possibility of wire damage so great that nobody is willing to sell them?

I recommend the proper size plastic bridge type with two captive nails. Available at Home Depot, etc. Please do not use the all metal staples. I responded to one house fire caused by improper use of all metal staples.

And you might want to consider BX instead of Romex.

I used to work for an electrician and we tried a hand held stapler for romex. It was more of a pain than it was worth and the staples pulled out very easily. We very quickly went back to hammered staples.

I bought a cheap pair of needle nose pliers for this job.
I grip across the staple, catching both legs in the pliers, just under
the cross bar.

That way it doesn't come out as I use it to move the wire into place.

I can get 2-3 hits before I need to remove the pliers (and at this point
it's not going to fly out with a off center hit anyways) then 1 more
hit to bring it close to the wire, try to not sink into the wire.

+1 to Yan Wo on the plastic type staples.

Some local codes don't allow the metal staples. The NEC apparently doesn't care; but do specify no damage to the NM/Romex type of cable. Almost impossible to damage cable with the plastic bridge type -- easier to hammer them in too hard with the staples.

Stacking NM cables for a neat installation (and toward the center of the stud where they're less likely to be damaged) is another issue. Locally, inspectors allow 2 NM stacked on each other and held with a plastic type staple. Beyond that they want one of those combs to stack cable while avoiding cable to cable heating.

I don't like the two nail plastic staples. They suck if you don't hammer them dead-on. I've never damaged Romex using metal staples... and they're also easier to pull.

I've never damaged Romex using metal staples... and they're also easier to pull.

Well I certainly have! Working too slow if you do not EVER have a bad go.
But.... perhaps three times, mebbe four - only?

Even so, that's over a span of ..meah... 60 years?

I dislike both installing and removing the metal staples. However, the plastic ones fail over time, due to brittle plastic. These are home-center items I personally installed, so I know how old they are. Newer ones (and name-brand ones) are better so far. If I was starting a big residential wiring project now, I think I'd try to find a screw-on cable clamp affair that was properly rated. Don't know if they exist, though...

Chip

On the recommendation to use BX: if you do, make VERY sure to properly insulate the ends of the steel sheath from the wire. Years ago many farm houses burnt because bushings were not used or improperly used at the sheath ends. The steel cut through the electrical insulation and produced a short to ground. But it was a high resistance short that didn't blow a fuse, it just got hot until it started a fire.

Tom

Back