What's new
What's new

Drilling with a 90 degree indexable - APKT1604 inserts?

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
I have a hole I need to make in 3 parts that I was previously interpolating with a long 3/4 end mill but I shattered it last night and need to get these things done.

So I was thinking since the part already has a hole cast into it and since the hole I need to cut and my indexable end mill are the same diameter, I was wondering if y’all think this cutter could wing it until my proper drill bit comes in? C2541F3E-A920-4AB7-AB5D-520C9D957DB3.jpg

The material is a brass c84400 to be exact506AB439-CB20-4554-9A13-58C0E2FC36FE.jpg

Can I go with maybe?
How much stock? A taper or tiny bit of bow in the the hole okay?
Might want to think of only putting one insert in the cutter body so it is sort of a full cut to size boring bar.
If not too much stock a APKT will take it out. In most cases or designs they plunge mill decently which is how one roughs out stock fast on a manual machine.
Bob

If the cutter OD is the same size as the hole, probably not, but only because it looks like the ID of that tubing is smaller than the distance between the inside edges of the inserts. That means you're going to have the central steel body of the cutter that abuts the inserts rubbing instead of the inserts cutting.

Back