What's new
What's new

drilling machine what for

1yesca

Stainless
was given some things and this was in it looks like its for drilling holes in something round like beads or pearls . the other thing looks to be some sort of magnifying device

001.jpg002.jpg005.jpg007.jpg

And the third and fourth are: NORLAND PRODUCTS 25202 INTERFEROMETRE FIBER CLEAVES FOR INSPECTION LAB

Could was. Here are two currently offered:

Pearl Drilling Machine Japanese-115V | OttoFrei.com

A&A Jewelry Supply - Japanese Pearl Drilling

Cannot find an example, but we had one pre 1974 (it was already there when I took-over the Manufacturing operation). Our Japanese supplier of pearls had sourced it for us. That one was vertical, resembled most other tiny drillpresses.

We bought pre-drilled pearls & beads, used the machine only for blind holes for pearls we set on posts for earrings and rings.

Our drills were also Japanese-sourced, and of a speciality spade type, not helical twist, FWIW. Didn't want to crack the Conchiolin layer as helicals WILL do.

0.8mm - 4.2mm Drill Bits - For Pearl Drill - Loose Pearls - Pearl Drill - Drill needles - Drilling

IF.. that one walked in your door with a helical twist drill in the chuck and no lime dust residue?

Probably used to drill some other round object in metal, wood, or plastic.

AND NOT... pearls or gemstones.

2CW .. and ten years supervising it.. '74-'84.

so that explains all the white dust / powder that was on it before i cleaned it up

The Hilo Hattie tourist store chain in Hawaii has a jewelry department in each store. They feature a tank of oysters with cultured pearls inside. The sales person has the customer select an oyster, then dips it out and opens it to remove the pearl. They ring a little bell for all in the store to celebrate the fabulous lucky find. They then try to upsell the customer to a jewelry mounting that involves using the pearl drill they keep handy.

I don't know what they do with the opened oyster. I ate two live oysters once and regretted it ever since.

I like the HH shirts they sell and walk past the jewelry.

Larry

That's what I've always heard....real pearls are nowhere near round.

It's safe to assume that machine was made for cranking out pearl necklaces so the fat lady at the opera can sing.

The magnification device is for cleaving (cutting) fiber optics and inspecting them afterwards. (There is an identical device for sale on eBay) Norland makes, among other things, termination connectors for fiber optics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back