Drills Sharpen or Toss? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Twinhit wheel 38A60KV1A only a few dollars more than a grey Alox wheel and it cuts much faster and cooler on hss, keep a dresser handy and use it when the grinding slows and the bits start getting hot quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anybody ever use a LISLE DRILL GRINDER SHARPENER No. 91000? How good are they? There is one on ebay for a starting bid of $250 + $53 shipping.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same question, different situation:

We drill two holes in 1018 axles as follows

5/16" dia 1018 axles get two 9/64" holes

7/16" dia 1018 axles and 1/2" dia 1045 axles get two 3/16" dia holes

We have an automated machine that I just received drilling the two holes in any axle in about 9-14 seconds, depending on the axle size. We drill in excess of 130,000 axles per year.

I don't have data on how long the drills are lasting, but we have been pitching the drills instead of sharpening because the cheap old drill doctor died and our "shop foreman" said just buy new drills from now on.

Whaddya think? There is a lot of speculation that we should be resharpening from our drilling vendors that sold us the drill and our own in house operators....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

nybody ever use a LISLE DRILL GRINDER SHARPENER No. 91000? How good are they?
    -I don't know the model number, but I picked up a Lisle drill sharpener, used, a few months back. It came with no instructions, so I wrote my own exhaustive and detailed operational manual:

In all seriousness, it works fine, and gives very good results. It's a bit of a pain to adjust for a new size (say, going from sharpening 1/4" sized drills to 1/2") but really, once you know the parts to adjust, it's not bad.

It's not like it takes hours, either. Yes, maybe a fast, experienced had could sharpen a small drill before you have the machine set, but once it's set, unless you really have to hog down the drill to get past the damaged part, sharpening takes only seconds.

If anyone has or can find a proper manual for this unit, I'd be very interested in a copy.

Doc.

5. Likes Hightemp liked this post
    35 miles North of the inception of Babbitt (Taunton, Massachusetts)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you guys are talking about resharpening as many drills as you talked about you need to look at something other than a lisle or sterling style type drill sharpener. The best semi-automatic drill sharpener for doing the same size drills is like a winslow hc. It will allow an operator to load a drill while another is sharpened unless you want to spend $400,000 for a Walter Cnc grinder. You can look at their machines at Winsloweng.com. I have no ties with any of these companies, just 25 years of cutter grinding experience. If you have a lot of drills that are different sizes you could look at the machines at Oliverinstrument.com as they also have some very good drill grinders. Stay away from the smaller drill doctor type machines for doing a large quantity of drills in an Industrial environment as they wont hold up to a lot of use. I have run these machines and can tell you they are more to what you are looking for than the smaller and cheaper machines out there. This advice applies to guys using more than what a tool and die shop would use in a years time. For the smaller users the lisle or sterling would work just fine.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am considering buying one of those universal drill /tap grinding attachment as the second hand Clarkson type is almost impossible to obtain and cost just as much as a new one here!!!
    Has anybody ever used one?
    Universal cutter/tools grinding attachment(straight/taper handle) US1 | eBay

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think is a shame to toss drills of say 1/4 and larger. If no one is capable of hand sharpening and a decent drill sharpening machine is not in shop then dulls should go into for send out box and a local cutter grind shop can make them good.

Throw away practice often leads to buying the lowest quality drill and some of them are easy to break so not a good choice.
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 05-30-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah anyone who has some drills they want to toss out rather than sharpen can send them to me, I'll take 'em. (Note: necro-post).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another option might be a Black Diamond Drill Grinder. They make several models to handle a variety of sizes. They are extremely expensive new, but often used units show up on places like Craigslist or eBay. I was able to purchase a used one in like new condition for less than 1/4 of the price of a new SRD. It came with a couple new wheels in addition to the one on the machine, and a nearly complete set of collets. I did have to make about half a dozen collets to fill in the range the machine is capable of.

As mentioned by others I usually sharpen drills in batches. Depending on the size and number in stock I usually sharpen from 50 to 200 at a crack. Unless the drills are in extremely poor shape it usually takes less than 2 minutes to sharpen one. So far every one has come out as good as or better than new. I've had the machine only a couple years and it's already paid for itself considering the cost of new drills.

img_0656.jpg img_0655.jpg

12. Likes Terry Keeley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HuskerMcdoogle, Sir

Consider taking a look Oliver of Adrian's stuff ( Drill Grinders from Oliver of Adrian : Since 1913 )
    I have a 21 hd (older discontinued model ) that works well up to 5/8ths.. I also have a Oliver 600 that semi-automatically sharpens from 1/2 inch to 3 inches.. Good folks to deal with too.. they really support their stuff.
    While the 600 isn't "fast" it allows me to keep my large MT drills in use. The 21 allows me to sharpen down to 3/32 or so. One side benefit that I did not see mentioned anywhere in this thread is.. With in house sharpening you can vary the geometry of the bit for specific materials and THAT has been a job saver many times over for me..
    Hope that helps.. ( Lots of good info on their site anyhow)
    Stay safe
    Calvin B Haxton

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    Husker, I can recommend the TDR/SRD 80M for drills up to 13/16". It takes five minutes to learn and does a factory quality sharpening job in less than a minute. If there is a big chip or badly burned edge, it takes longer, of course. It is more efficient to do the bits in groups of all nearly one size, but it still is a quick job to set the table travel stop for different diameter drills. I have several of these grinders and have sold a few others on eBay. I have had thirty-year old machines that were about as good as new. I know they are one of the best grinders, and probably the easiest to use.

You can get a new machine direct from the factory for a bit less than the price for which MSC sells them. The factory is near you, at Port Byron, NY. They used to offer a free trial, but I don't know if they still do.

TDR/SRD drill grinders

Larry
    your link did not work...

here is another one

Service Precision Grinding Inc. - drill bit grinder, drill grinder, drill sharpener, point splitter Drill Sharpener,Drill Grinder,Drill Grinding, drill pointer, fastest drill grinder - Service Precision Grinding Inc. started as a precision grinding s

dee
    ;-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by calvin b View Post
    HuskerMcdoogle, Sir. . .
    "Husker..." Was the original poster in 2007. The current interested party is bernhard s, and its a different question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bernhard s View Post
    I am considering buying one of those universal drill /tap grinding attachment as the second hand Clarkson type is almost impossible to obtain and cost just as much as a new one here!!!
    Has anybody ever used one?
    Universal cutter/tools grinding attachment(straight/taper handle) US1 | eBay
    That fixture while very useful for endmills and cutters will not sharpen the end of most drills.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Darex
    Darex Light-Duty Drill Sharpener, Model# V390 | eBay
    Fast and does split points, up to 1/2", we use a Lisle up to 3/4" but splits are difficult and slow. I had a TSR and gave it away as soon as I got the Darex.
    The only "Drill Doctor" type I know of was made of plasticrap.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That sounds like a management problem. Rotate your people so they can learn other jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by huskermcdoogle View Post
    ...<snip>.... Our tool room does not have much grinding knowledge as they do not do it on a daily basis. Average length of time that one of our tool room guys has been here is 30 years, and they have never been in the cutter grinding department hardly a day in their lives. ...<snip>...

Husker

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

12 year old thread. Some of you probably have the same advice a decade ago.

Bernard, if you want an answer to your question, best results come from a new thread with an appropriate title. As you can see, most folks won't read three pages of chatter to find your question.