What's new
What's new

DRO..Which is best for lathe?

rmsfla

Cast Iron
I have a Standard Modern 20X60 that will have a DRO installed..
I just don't know what type or brand is best that is trouble free.
Where to purchase for the best deal?
The travel on this machine is 12"X 60"

Robbie

I'm a Newall fan boy. Trouble free, yes. My only experience is with the C80 on both lathe and mill. Installed the lathe DRO myself. However, I'd look at the magnetic scale system that DRO pros sells. They've gotten good reviews here.

My C80 has some weird quarks occasionally, but it always has measured true. Sometimes the feedback beep for a button press doesn't register and vise-versa (sometimes it beeps to acknowledge a keypress, but the data didn't get entered). So I've got to keep my eyes on the numbers when punching buttons. Otherwise, very happy with it. I picked it specifically for its trouble free Sphereosyn scales.

Edit: I have used other makes of DROs. One was an ancient Anilam that usually worked fine, but would occasionally "lose its mind" and the display would blink out. The other were some Mitutoyo units. The Anilam was kept from student use and worked well. The Mits were put on student machines, and after a while suffered from dirty scales. This is when I made the decision to go with Newall when I got to choose a DRO.

Last edited:
I installed a Newall C80 on my lathe and am very pleased with it. The scales are completely enclosed, so no cleaning worries. There is an air gap between the scales and the readers, so you don't have to line them up perfectly. The mounting hardware was very flexible as far as providing multiple parts and means of mounting and adjustment. I did make a custom mount for the Microsyn scale, but that was a simple job. Larry

I'm a Newall fan boy. Trouble free, yes. My only experience is with the C80 on both lathe and mill. Installed the lathe DRO myself. However, I'd look at the magnetic scale system that DRO pros sells. They've gotten good reviews here.

My C80 has some weird quarks occasionally, but it always has measured true. Sometimes the feedback beep for a button press doesn't register and vise-versa (sometimes it beeps to acknowledge a keypress, but the data didn't get entered). So I've got to keep my eyes on the numbers when punching buttons. Otherwise, very happy with it. I picked it specifically for its trouble free Sphereosyn scales.
We have a C80 on one of our lathes that we started having trouble with the membrane under the keypad not picking up some of the inputs. Called the 800 number and even though it had been installed for two years, the gave me an RMA and fixed it for free. We have all newall stuff,and they have been super reliable.

Most all brands will perform as you would like them to. The biggest issue I have seen with Accurite, Mititoyo, Newall, any of them, is poor instalation. Plan that well and you will like it. Put the scales in an out of the way, protected from impact as much as you can find location. Take care with the wiring routing and secure it well.
Regards

Make sure you get a cross-slide scale that will resolve .0001 in or better, i.e., .0002 on the diameter, unless all you are making is tractor hitch pins and the like. It's tough to hit .001 on the diameter with coarser resolution than that.

We have a DP900 on our Bridgeport. I'm disappointed with the touchscreen. It seems that I'm always selecting the wrong axis and having to cancel an input and try again. But I do like some of the functions. Saving patterns for reuse.

+1 on the Newall. At work we have a DP700 with sphereosyn scales on our Kingston HD22X90 and I am pleased with them. I have sony DRO's on the other machines and they are nothing but problems. When the next Sony breaks a Newall setup will be on order.

I replaced a couple of ancient Sony DROs with Accurite 200s. With suitable conversion cables, I was able to continue to use my original Sony magnescales, with .00005" resolution. For us, DROs are more than just a measurement device, they also have to make tool offsets convenient. The Accurite is very user friendly this way, and allows for setting offsets easily during a trial cut (or the first cut) with any tool. So if you've got a toolpost with near perfect repeatability, the Accurite lends itself very well to complex parts with up to 16 tools, or more, if an offset is not required for some tools.

I'm not too concern about price.
Accurate , dependable, ruggedness that is what I'm after.

On my Monarch 10EE I had issues in the past with Anilam as not wanting or able to make repairs when I needed help.
I now want to avoid that company.
Robbie

The old Hendenhain ND730's were the best lathe DRO, sadly long discontinued. Acu-rites are good, I just don't like the display of most newer DRO's.
Not a newall fan, don't actually know anyone in person who likes them when they have to make money with them, mostly to do with display layout and glass scale accuracy will always be the best.

I put a Newall DP700 on my machine. Mine has an 80" bed but i was able to put 72" long scales because that was the actual travel it measured. the scales come about 5" longer than what they say they are. You might be able to get away with a 10 x 50 and save a couple hundred bucks. Best way to me is a carriage mount with shortest scale cables, less likely the cables will get caught on something and the read out is always right there. For the power I just ran an extension cord through the e-chain, then under the machine to the nearest outlet. Its even nicer if the machine has a 110 outlet mounted on the machine.

Gotta say when it comes to glass scales the back up spar system of the Acu-rite is fantastic!!

Sony's have worked out best for me. Don't want any more Accurites. One of my mills (Acer) came new with Accurite DRO and didn't last much longer than the warranty. I used to install Sony's for other people and had excellent luck. In my shop I bought them for lathe and mill. They cost more, but worth it.

JH

I have an Acurite D200 box and believe it or not, old Sargon thin scales .00005 on x and z .0001. Bought some cable adapters hooked them up, 4 yrs used every day without problems. Checked accuracy/repeatability with gage blocks.

So, I really like the Acurite D200 box and operating system. Acurite scales seem a bit over priced. I'm not at all clear on who made the Sargon’s.

Have another small lathe with Acurite D200 box and Accurite scales had to replace one scale about 3 yrs old the other is still good after 13 yrs.

We have a Newall C80 on one machine and it works fine, though not as user friendly for offsets to me.

I can't comment on Sony's used them but have not owned them. I don't recall how friendly they were to use. so I defer to Clark on them.

Back