What's new
What's new

DRO on mill with universal table?

BobH

Aluminum
Has anyone installed or have pictures of a DRO on a universal mill table? Universal meaning the table swivels. I'm interested in the installation of the x axis scale. On my Cincinnati 205-12, because of the lever and dogs for the power cross feed there isn't room on the front of the table. At full travel rearwards the table reaches the column so putting a scale there will take a bite big out of my Y travel distance. Somebody with a better imagination than I must have some ideas:scratchchin:. Bob

You could mount the scale on the front side in front of the stop dogs
you could use a magnetic tape on the back side and place the readerhead eighter left or right of the column
You could place the scale on a extension to eigther the left or right so it sits entierly left or right of the column
You could .......................

Peter

I would use the stops on the back of the table, it can get pretty crowded on the front with the scale and table controls.

Once the table is kicked out of tram you are reading table travel, you would have to do the math to figure out actual x axis movement.........

Kevin

Blocking the back was my first thought but I'd hate to loose the couple of inches in Y travel. When the table is swiveled, to clear the corner of the column it would have to be quite a distance. Offsetting the reader head is something I never thought of. I knew you all would come through! Now I have to look at who makes the thinnest scales. The x feed dogs take up the whole front of the table and need to be accessed to move them all the time so that sort of kills spacing the scale out in the front. Bob

How often to you plan to swivel the table ? It doesn't happen often in a jobbing shop in my experience unless you have a particular job in mind.
If you offset the reading head you have to offset the scale also.

Regards Tyrone.

Magnetic scales are only 5mm thick incl the aluminium protection profiel
You could even mill a slot to accomadate the magnetic scale
No loss what soever

At the front you can mount a angle iron on 2 studs so that angle iron clearly is in front of the stop dogs
This allows you to adjust the stop dogs
Then mount the scale on that angle iron That way the scale is protected from the top too
You want more options then post some pics

Peter

Back