What's new
What's new

DRO for Storm Vulcan model 15 crank grinder

Sir grindalot

Plastic
I have a model 15 ,70's vintage. Its a real pain to bring it up on stroke because the ruler scale is so small. Once you get both ends approximate then you dial it in with the set up indicator. It scares the hell out of me because i always feel that the tail stock and head stock are not in sync. The elevation screws never correspond numerically. But somehow i always get it to grind a good rod journal. I must be close to exact because i can plunge grind and get no lap line taper on a sm blk crank rod journal is .0002 at worst. for production work on a manual machine i feel its "commerically acceptable"
Has any one put DRO 1 axis on a storm vulcan crank grinder??? I am getting ready to attempt it on my machine looking for ideas from someone who is running one with DRO successfully.

FWIW, I've been in a lot of shops and we have a half-dozen S-V grinders at present and I've never, ever seen one with a DRO. If you're holding .0002", pat yourself on the back and keep doing what you're doing.

jack vines

What I did to get past that problem was to mill a couple of flat spots on the head and tail stock. I keep two digital calipers marked for their respective ends. Zero a crank then zero the calipers on the flat spot and the stoke mechanism. You can get a pretty accurate stoke and return to zero with them. You can also be fairly comfortable the both strokes are pretty close.

measure_stroke.jpg
The image on my computer wasn't sideways, and I don't see a way to rotate it:(

The only problem I am having with mine is with when doing a rod jounal on the head stock end, it hard to even get it to a half thou. on heavier cranks. I have even upgrade my bushing s 7208 2RS side loads, and I don't think it helped!

Back