What's new
What's new

DRO Z axis recommendation

cudafamily

Aluminum
Have a Series II Bridgeport that I am getting ready to do an DRO install on. Wondering what is the opinion out there as to benefits of installing the Z axis on the bed VS the quill.

It would so depend on what you are doing

REadout on the quill is so useful for drilling and other quick work that I would use it far more often than the knee

Have never had one on the knee, but I have some doubts as to accuracy, the screw is centralized, but the scale would be off center, but perhaps it is not such an issue.

It would so depend on what you are doing

REadout on the quill is so useful for drilling and other quick work that I would use it far more often than the knee

Have never had one on the knee, but I have some doubts as to accuracy, the screw is centralized, but the scale would be off center, but perhaps it is not such an issue.

I bought a clone 10 years ago with a factory installed 3 axis DRO. The Z axis is on the knee and is dead accurate. Having a quill read out as an extra is also very handy and worthwhile as well.

. . .I have some doubts as to accuracy, the screw is centralized, but the scale would be off center, but perhaps it is not such an issue.

I don't think there's anything to worry about there. You're not measuring absolute position, just movement/relative position. Even 'loose' knee ways won't change that fact. As always, you should lock the knee at the desired position and get your readings from there. If knee movement is required during the operation the former still applies.

Series II and a scale on the quill? You must not have a series II, perhaps a Series II Special?

I have never seen a scale mounted on the quill of a 4HP Bridgeport Series II.

Jon

Back