What's new
What's new

Drop Forging... how good can the parts come out?

snowshooze

Stainless
Hi guys;
I machine these thin biscuit parts.
A bugger to do.
They be from .2 thick, down to .085 thick... about 2.5 diameter.. with holes, surface profiles...
Imagine doing an oreo cookie, 2.5 dia and .085 thick.( Fat one is .2 ) Have you looked at the surface of an oreo lately?
Actually pretty snazzy geometry there.
But... I am in production, and wonder if drop forging could do the whole job, or just maybe be the first op.
Overall tolerances... probably .002 all over Holes, locations, thicknesses... all.
Thanks guys!
Mark

depending on material,they could be made to exact size by cold pressing/coining......I doubt hot forging would be anywhere near those limits due to oxide alone,and heating of dies and surface finish.......You dont mention material,but look at a coin for an example,dies and presses will be high cost items.

Well, they need to be a bit hard to avoid deformation.
So, currently, I am working in 4130 so I can harden and temper to spring qualities.
I could go a lotta differnt materials, especially if I was not cutting chip.

But, I like the finishes I can get in 4130, 4140... and even if the cost is substantially higher than A-36, 1018, 1050... ya pick...
Pretty parts, heat-treatable, material cost... ain't too much an issue as the dang machine time is the bulk of the cost.

depending on material,they could be made to exact size by cold pressing/coining......I doubt hot forging would be anywhere near those limits due to oxide alone,and heating of dies and surface finish.......You dont mention material,but look at a coin for an example,dies and presses will be high cost items.

Can you put me on cold pressing and coining?
These are processes I know nearly nothing about.
My many thanks!
Mark

Im 10 + yrs retired,you need a proper consultant..........powder metalurgy might also be a option......but again very high setup costs...... for low setup,low volume investment casting might appeal too..its ideal for low labour cost areas ,like Asia

Im 10 + yrs retired,you need a proper consultant..........powder metalurgy might also be a option......but again very high setup costs...... for low setup,low volume investment casting might appeal too..its ideal for low labour cost areas ,like Asia

John... you are my proper Consultant...
Ha.
Ya, well, the money is there.
I can machine these buggers, and do ok.
But, like my plastic parts... vendors can supply me finished parts for less than I have to pay for materials.
No chips in injection molding. Nor drop forging... well.. guessing...
Thanks so much for your 2 cents!
Oh, my volumes... maybe 50,000 articles per year.
Mark

I do alot of cold pressing and coining of steels, it is amazing how much you can deform a block of steel cold. If your parts can be coined it is fast and cheap.

Look at Kevin Potter’s site. Go to his video demonstrating his 100 ton press. I think you will see everything you need to know to give you an idea on how coining can be done. He can probably provide you with the dies necessary and a suitable press at a reasonable price.

Die Stamping

I've no idea what your tolerances/requirements are for the part but if sending this out to an outsource like Kevin Potter then it would be advisable if the price suits you. The cost of a press/coil feeder and attendant machines to maintain the die will be considerable for the number of parts per year. This doesn't even include the learning curve for designing/making the die itself, which is also considerable if unfamiliar with stamping/coining dies. Even a fairly simple die needs, IMO, to make 100,000 parts per run to be profitable unless it's a high price per part given the operating costs. Not saying you can't do it, just might not be worth your time/trouble when a shop already capable can handle it for you if you've never done this before.

Back