What's new
What's new

Dumore spindle, oil or grease?

Laverda

Cast Iron
I have a Dumore model 57 tool post grinder where it appears the grease has dried out in the spindle. It has no oil hole so I am assuming it has grease inside? I have emailed Dumore but not received a reply yet and need to use the grinder ASAP. I will start taking it apart today but don't know what lube to use? Is there oil or grease inside and if so what kind? I have various types of spindle oil if that's what it needs but know nothing about spindle grease.

So what should I use??????

I agree that, if there is no oil hole, the bearings were greased at the factory. I once bought a set of precision spindle bearings and the supplier also sold me a can of grease that they had filled themselves from a large container. The can label did not have an actual maker name and type number, so I just call it precision spindle bearing grease. So you could contact a large bearing seller.

An alternative to asking Dumore is to ask Sopko, a Dumore dealer and spindle rebuilder. William Sopko & Sons Co., Inc - Precision Grinding Wheel Adapters and Spindle Accessories

Or: High Speed Grease for Precision Bearings

Larry

All of the spindle quills should have a hole located about 2" from one of the ends. The hole has a screwdriver slotted set screw. Remove this screw and drip some spindle oil into this hole and put the screw back into the hole. Don't loose that set screw, it is special!!! It's like a 3/8-32 thread on that screw. Ask me why I know this. The motor, depending on the age of the motor, newer motors have lubricated for life bearings, older one's have a place you put a few drops of oil in.
Ken

All of the spindle quills should have a hole located about 2" from one of the ends. The hole has a screwdriver slotted set screw. Remove this screw and drip some spindle oil into this hole and put the screw back into the hole. Don't loose that set screw, it is special!!! It's like a 3/8-32 thread on that screw. Ask me why I know this. The motor, depending on the age of the motor, newer motors have lubricated for life bearings, older one's have a place you put a few drops of oil in.
Ken

Nope, it has no oil holes. Poking around on the internet, older model 57 grinders do but mine and current production do not and are "lubed for life". Just wish I knew what the lube is? I have the end caps off and don't see any grease at all. A few drops of MOBIL #6 spindle oil and the bearings feel good but is this a permanent solution? I was thinking of ordering Kluber NBU-15 spindle grease?

I have a similar spindle and replaced the bearings. I went with oil because of the high maximum speed, but in hindsight I should have used Kluber high speed grease. NCA-15 is what I have and rated a bit higher than the NBU. I'll probably clean and regrease it before using it again. Do your Dn calcs. It really depends on how fast you'll spin it. My unit is set up for ID grinding, so I wanted the full capability of the spindle.

Ken

My dumore spindles have that hold and I add about 10 drops standing this way up and then 10 drops standing the other way.
With no hole then about 1/3 of the bearing filled with Kluber high speed grease or the like

I have no Ieda about preload

Kluber is good stuff about 50 bucks for a tiny little tube. Ive used it on many spindles, crank grinder bearings, both my fadals have it in with new bearings on a rebuild. Never had a issue with it , not sure i would fill it a 1/3 fill though, too much and you will take out the bearings they run hot. I usually quit when it looks like it isn’t enough. Run them in good to get the grease where it needs to be. And be very very carful when working on these. Treat the bearings like they are untempered glass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I have seen is air hose spinning bearings. That is the worse thing one can do because balls bounce against each other and can cause damage.
Set cleaned in fresh solvent / dipped in spindle oil and set between paper towels or washed towels to let drain for a time is best. Hands washed and dried for handling bearings. bearings best handled out of any grinding room,

The liquid in a bearing package is a rust inhibitor, not a running oil.
Many bearing fit guys clean a bearing out of the package but a solvent can leave a bearing to rust if not dipped in spindle oil or the like.

Back