What's new
What's new

Dumore-Versa-Mil-No-3 Just how large and heavy is this thing ?

lalatheman

Hot Rolled
Pretty well decided on getting a Versa mil type of tool, for use on a 29" swing lathe milling 1" key slots around 4 ft long.

Have not yet been able to find the spacing of the vertical rods or size of the endplates or the weight.

Wondering if a Dumore-Versa-Mil-No-3 would be too large or perhaps more appropriate than the more common 31's or

32's

Any help much appreciated

David Lawrence

Hopefully Brian, the owner of the company, will see this and chime in. I have a 32. Iirc, the posts are 1 and 1/8 diameter on 4 and 1/2 inch center. It is a #3 Morse machine. I would think a one-inch keyway would be a 3 to 5 pass operation. I would much rather pull it off a lathe and put it on a mill for that size keyway. A wag is it's a 80# machine with the motor.

Pretty well decided on getting a Versa mil type of tool, for use on a 29" swing lathe milling 1" key slots around 4 ft long.

Have not yet been able to find the spacing of the vertical rods or size of the endplates or the weight.

Wondering if a Dumore-Versa-Mil-No-3 would be too large or perhaps more appropriate than the more common 31's or

32's

Any help much appreciated

David Lawrence

I have 2 of those dumore #2's and can measure anything you need.
I have used the grinding spindles on mine mounted on my 16cw monarch, I removed the compound for that.
Rough measurement with a tape measure I got 4 1/4" x 4 1/2" c-c on the posts. Looked like 1 1/4" posts. my primitive hanging scale read aprox 95 lbs for the machine and motor, had a drill chuck in the spindle.
Not sure if that is helpful, hope so.

The base of my Versamil #3 size, is 7-9/16" across the front (where the Vertical head would mount, by 7 -11/16" deep or from front to the back side where the 1-1/2 HP motor mounts on the back side. The 4 Vertical rods which the gear box slides upon are 1.483" dia. x 15 -3/8" long. The top end of the rods are turned down to 1.450"dia and tapped 5/8" UNC, the bottom end is turned down to1"dia. x 14TPI x7/8" long. The spacing of the rods are as follows at the front 5.250" center to center and from front to back they measure 5.375" center to center. The weight of the unit is stated to be 245 lbs. hope this helps. Doug

Back