Dumore-Versa-Mil-No-3 Just how large and heavy is this thing ?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dumore-Versa-Mil-No-3 Just how large and heavy is this thing ?

Pretty well decided on getting a Versa mil type of tool, for use on a 29" swing lathe milling 1" key slots around 4 ft long.

Have not yet been able to find the spacing of the vertical rods or size of the endplates or the weight.

Wondering if a Dumore-Versa-Mil-No-3 would be too large or perhaps more appropriate than the more common 31's or

32's

Any help much appreciated

David Lawrence

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hopefully Brian, the owner of the company, will see this and chime in. I have a 32. Iirc, the posts are 1 and 1/8 diameter on 4 and 1/2 inch center. It is a #3 Morse machine. I would think a one-inch keyway would be a 3 to 5 pass operation. I would much rather pull it off a lathe and put it on a mill for that size keyway. A wag is it's a 80# machine with the motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lalatheman View Post
    Pretty well decided on getting a Versa mil type of tool, for use on a 29" swing lathe milling 1" key slots around 4 ft long.

Have not yet been able to find the spacing of the vertical rods or size of the endplates or the weight.

Wondering if a Dumore-Versa-Mil-No-3 would be too large or perhaps more appropriate than the more common 31's or

32's

Any help much appreciated

David Lawrence
    I have 2 of those dumore #2's and can measure anything you need.
    I have used the grinding spindles on mine mounted on my 16cw monarch, I removed the compound for that.
    Rough measurement with a tape measure I got 4 1/4" x 4 1/2" c-c on the posts. Looked like 1 1/4" posts. my primitive hanging scale read aprox 95 lbs for the machine and motor, had a drill chuck in the spindle.
    Not sure if that is helpful, hope so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at this one on ebay: Dumore Versa-Mil No 3 Portable Machining | eBay
    I see the motor is the same HP as the #2. Is the #3 the same unit, just with more vertical travel? The ebay one looks like it has long rods compared to mine.