Dust Collector Setup

• Thread starter CleanAir707
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 3,088
C

CleanAir707

Greetings everyone,

Wanted to ask everybody what type of dust collector setup they have or if you have a setup.
I've heard that some setups are hard to do because of lack of shop space.
Other problems include pricing since some are expensive.

Are cartridge collectors the way to go, bag filters, or do you DIY like a boss? :cool:
You can post pics if you want.

-Kaitlyn

Greetings everyone,

Wanted to ask everybody what type of dust collector setup they have or if you have a setup.
I've heard that some setups are hard to do because of lack of shop space.
Other problems include pricing since some are expensive.

Are cartridge collectors the way to go, bag filters, or do you DIY like a boss? :cool:
You can post pics if you want.

-Kaitlyn

...and as soon as we post...You'll be right there to tell us how much better the ones you rep are better....

I'm not here to spam, and I'm not here to push sales.
Because I'm new to the industrial manufacturing world, I'm seriously wanting to learn.
The only way to do that is to really connect to the people in manufacturing.

That's why I came to this forum. To contribute, connect, and learn.
I thought it would be a cool idea to see some pics.
Sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intention.

-Kaitlyn

Because I'm new to the industrial manufacturing world, I'm seriously wanting to learn.

-Kaitlyn

Uhm...Yeah...if you say so.

All the spammers say the same thing.

If you would simply search the archives, you'd get all the answers you need.

Dust collection

I have two DC's in the wood shop and a ceiling mount air scrubber. Air scrubber removes fine dust that will hang in the air if not collected. 1 HP horizontal single bag DC is under outfeed table. Collects dust from cabinet saw , jointer and an over head saw guard. The saw guard collection removes dust from the table. I have another 2 bag vertical , 1-1/2HP machine that is used to collect dust from a planer after it passes thru a chip collection box. Box is on wheels and is towed outside and dumped for compost.
This set up requires no piping , just 4" flexible hose. The vertical DC also collects dust from a bandsaw , miter saw and a disc sander. I change from one machine to another in 1 second.
I built a manifold from plywood and added 3" PVC toilet flanges over holes in the box. Slots above holes are fitted with Masonite barriers that slide down from the top. The ends have a flange, one for bandsaw , the other end connects to miter saw which does not do a good job of collecting dust. Flange topside is for DC. Flange in front is for planer. Box is just 6 sided plywood box with 3-3/4" holes and the flanges which are 4" OD. 4" hose connects machines to manifold flanges. I added hose clamps but I think hose clamps may not be necessary as the suction will keep them on. Had the clamps so I used them.

mike

-Kaitlyn

While I grant you, us machinists aren't generally recognised as being the sharpest tools in the turret, …….we're usually not the dullest either, ...............….the user name ''Clean Air 707'' was a bit of a give away.

We filter unwanted particles with our lungs. Whenever things get too dusty we just take deep breaths to get it out of the air faster.

Sounds like you've got dust collection covered Mike which is awesome!
I know that some small shops have to improvise and DIY some things.
From experience, I know DIY isn't as easy as it looks from video tutorials. At least for me.

-Kaitlyn

Have used a 3hp Oneida cyclone for my small woodworking (hobby) set up in my garage. Happy with it. Pleased that a PM member works for them.

Stan.

glad you like it. we appreciate all feedback and take it all seriously. I just got out of a meeting where 7 people evaluated a single complaint from and amazon customer and its route cause, [probably shipping damage]point is we take a lot of pride in our products

Oneida-air. . .---. . . I work here

No doubt you're most enthusiastic about your bigger, full systems but your 'Dust Deputy' mod for shop vacs is an exceptionally well done product. I think it really does what you claim and I haven't had need to change the pleated filter since I installed it. I use the plastic translucent one and couldn't be happier.

(No, I don't have any connection to Oneida other than being impressed with a simple, well made product)

Thanks Gordon, the Dust Deputy does work very well and that is the product were we were discussing in the meeting.it boiled down to carton damage.
I have done extensive testing of the Dust Deputy and for most materials we get well above 99% separation, more like 99.8%! A few materials are more stubborn like concrete dust, some really light things like Styrofoam peanuts want to keep flying, but foam chips from routing do separate. Our standard test material is a half and half mix of all purpose floor and corn meal, this gives a wide particle range that we can duplicate. We also have a drum of floor sweepings, literally a mix of saw dust, dirt, nuts and bolts, paper and small chunks of wood and plastic, literally what we sweep up off the lab floor, we also use that for separation testing and the ability for a system to handle that range of material.
in addition to the clear plastic Dust Deputy, we have the same size in black static conductive, powder coated steel, stainless steel and then 3 larger sizes the Super Dust Deputies in both conductive plastic and steel. These are intended for DIY systems. Integrated systems range from 1 1/2 HP to 20 HP and from low pressure to high pressure, aka high vacuum.

what do you currently use, what sort of machines/processes are you running?

I've a line of wet air scrubbers, shots of a couple being built are below. These are mid sized, the go up to 80,000 cfm. Dust collection is really dependent on material, size, volume, distance, pick up points etc. If this is a legit inquiry vs spamming start by describing those

fD9A7Ng.jpg

sOQ4egj.jpg

View attachment 267510

I run a 3hp Oneida industrial. I started with a 600 cyclone back in 1993, older than some of the Oneida sales people at AWFS. For my vac I use a Clear-Vu. I have a Dust Deputy but the shop vac hose ends fit better without a bunch of adapters.

what do you currently use, what sort of machines/processes are you running?

I've a line of wet air scrubbers, shots of a couple being built are below. These are mid sized, the go up to 80,000 cfm. Dust collection is really dependent on material, size, volume, distance, pick up points etc. If this is a legit inquiry vs spamming start by describing those

Pleated cartridge dust collector elements since they are efficient in dealing with finer particles (0.5 microns or less). Or course like you said, it all depends on a number of factors including media selection (spunbond, cellulose, polyester), the application (what type of dust the collector is dealing with), and size.

Does your company only supply the collectors?

-Kaitlyn

Attachments

• DSCN0051.jpg
    DSCN0051.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 43

Back