What's new
What's new

E-commerce Website for Tooling

Shop Supply Guru

Hot Rolled
Good morning All,

I wanted to get your feedback on what you would want from an e-commerce website that is machining focused.

We all are aware of the troubles of MSC. Overpriced, website continues to get worse some how. Cross reference you can’t beat it but short of that and quick delivery they don’t offer much. They offer “deals” on certain days and with coupons but that is such a game. Who wants to wait until a certain day to get a “Deal”.

McMaster is nice and reliable. Best website on the market I would say. There are limitations however as they don’t really offer a selection of brands and their pricing can be high. Sometimes it’s good but a lot of times is just ok.

There are a lot of seemingly small companies with websites that.... aren’t good at all. Visually or selection wise. A lot of them offer something good usually decent pricing.

Mari Tool has a very nice website That sells top notch products. Shout out to Frank. I can tell his focus is the holders. With a nice variety of tools.

So above our my thoughts on what the market is like. I would like to get your feedback on what you would want out of an e-commerce website that focuses on cutting tools, work holding, tool holding & abrasives.

Just copy McMaster, no one else comes close. Their system does handle multiple manufacturers, for example with adhesives.

Same thing here, anything close to McMaster in terms of finding the item you are looking for and providing detailed information about it.

You could perhaps beat McMaster with more predictable shipping cost. I prefer to see ahead of time that adding an item to the order will double the shipping cost or perhaps it will add no extra shipping cost at all.

And, I, for one, don't mind deals! I used to like the Enco way.

Jacques

Thanks guys for the thoughts. At first my thoughts are go with a Harvey style catalog. I'm not web design guy but I think their design would be easier to achieve compared to the best website on the market.

A set pricing model I also believe is the way. Best price no hassle that people can trust.

Anything else let me know.

The best way to market your product is through the press. PR is the key to success. It can bring a huge amount of customers in a very short time and for free. But you should do it wisely. First of all, you need to understand what message you will send, what value you bring to people, and why they should care about it. You should also decide on your audience, who exactly are your potential customers. After that, you need to find a way to communicate with them. The best will be to work with the press release distribution services guys.

Back