Earth Engine? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: Earth Engine?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    194
    Likes (Received)
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    It may be possible if we can find or invent an insulator to magnesium.
    Even if you did find a way to extract the energy stored within a permanent magnet, you'd be using up that stored energy like a primary cell battery. And they don't actually contain all that much energy. We're talking single or double digit joules on a good day.

    How much energy is stored in a magnet?

    For perspective, a 1 horsepower electric motor performs 746 joules of work per second, every second continuously until it is switched off. A commercial base-load power plant is often sized to produce around 2,000,000,000 joules per second... every second continuously.

    Have a debunking video just for fun:


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    3,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3399
    Likes (Received)
    1982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    "I've got one word for you son,... MAGNETS!"
    Earth Engine Model 30 Demonstration

    what's it's basic phenomenon?
    My only concern is I hope the thread title is acceptable
    OT:- Faster than the speed of wind.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,038
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4785
    Likes (Received)
    5064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    My only concern is I hope the thread title is acceptable
    OT:- Faster than the speed of wind.
    It is about design, engineering and concepts so is a good topic.

    The use of electricity was just a fantasy at one time.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    3,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3399
    Likes (Received)
    1982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    It is about design, engineering and concepts so is a good topic.
    I agree.......

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3527
    Likes (Received)
    2460

    Default

    The OP is also an avid trump supporter so it isn't surprising that he believes in perpetual motion. Some people will believe anything.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    158

    Default

    There already exists a free and (on human timescales anyway) perpetual energy source. It's called the sun. Ask any plant.
    The earth is not a closed thermodynamic system as we are constantly bathed in the suns energy. It is the source of the oil and coal we burn.

  7. Likes Just a Sparky liked this post
  8. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,038
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4785
    Likes (Received)
    5064

    Default

    Neil deGrasse Tyson
    A great thinker but where are his inventions and patents... the proof is in the puddddding.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    194
    Likes (Received)
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrStretch View Post
    There already exists a free and (on human timescales anyway) perpetual energy source. It's called the sun. Ask any plant.
    The earth is not a closed thermodynamic system as we are constantly bathed in the suns energy. It is the source of the oil and coal we burn.
    A valid and very important point to understand.

    The trouble arises from atmospheric interference between the sun and the earth's usable surface. I.e. clouds. Combined with a lack of energy-dense and ecologically friendly energy storage solutions... well, you know the rest.

    If only we could re-create the same phenomenon locally on earth that our star uses to produce it's power...

    Building ITER

    Deuterium and lithium (to 'breed' tritium) for fuel iirc, with a long-term goal of R&D towards utilizing 'straight' deuterium (inexhaustibly abundant in nature) with no need for lithium.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    3,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3399
    Likes (Received)
    1982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    The OP is also an avid trump supporter so it isn't surprising that he believes in perpetual motion. Some people will believe anything.
    How's about keeping the personally aimed political vomitry to the other place?
    100,000 UK Covid 19 Deaths

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Radcliffe Iowa
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Neil deGrasse Tyson
    A great thinker but where are his inventions and patents... the proof is in the puddddding.
    where are yours? Mine are easily searchable albiet expired by now.

  12. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Radcliffe Iowa
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I think Mr. Tyson's main strength is getting federal grant money.....
    And in his mind, he has obtained unlimited, free energy.
    Nothing like defelecting the point with noise.

  13. Likes empwoer liked this post
  14. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,038
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4785
    Likes (Received)
    5064

    Default

    Mine are also searchable, not expired.

    Still, most machinists have many good great ideas and make many devices in their time because they are doers, not just thinkers.

    But yes, I give thinkers a lot of credit..they sometimes have original ideas give the suggestion of what to do.

    Some thinkers just talk about the history of stuff, they aren't as valuable but might know a lot of stuff

  15. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Radcliffe Iowa
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Mine are also searchable, not expired.

    Still, most machinists have many good great ideas and make many devices in their time because they are doers, not just thinkers.

    But yes, I give thinkers a lot of credit..they sometimes have original ideas give the suggestion of what to do.

    Some thinkers just talk about the history of stuff, they aren't as valuable but might know a lot of stuff
    And some sling BS

  16. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    7,123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1324
    Likes (Received)
    4129

    Default

    Oil and Gas come from the sun? Then oil and gas are a renewable energy! Hallejulah!

    But really, I thought oil and gas came from dinosaurs. The truth must be beaten into submission, one way or the other.

  17. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    20,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    12201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Right up there with "the generator the power companies don't want you to know about"....
    Only because they get feeelthy rich off the electricity the high-maintenance b***h wastes ...... AFTER you marry her..


  18. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3527
    Likes (Received)
    2460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    How's about keeping the personally aimed political vomitry to the other place?
    100,000 UK Covid 19 Deaths
    How about keeping your opinions to yourself.

  19. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    606
    Likes (Received)
    1212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post

    Ozone is/acts diamagnetic, so this gives reason to think that there may be other diamagnetic elements somewhere in the universe.

    Some Diamagnetic Elements

    • Bismuth
    • Mercury
    • Silver
    • Carbon
    • Lead
    • Copper

  20. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    193
    Likes (Received)
    1673

    Default

    Yawn... we have a thermonuclear energy source in the sky that we know how to harvest from. Maybe keep working on that one.

  21. Likes Rudd liked this post
  22. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    20,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    12201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    How's about keeping the personally aimed political vomitry to the other place?
    100,000 UK Covid 19 Deaths
    Please don't quote the Big Blivet.

    He doesn't even exist until somebody does that.

  23. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    20,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    12201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    Yawn... we have a thermonuclear energy source in the sky that we know how to harvest from. Maybe keep working on that one.
    Not as if we have a lot of choice, is it?

    Old Sol is surely working on US!


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •