What's new
What's new

O.T. Motorcycle rides

5 axis Fidia guy

Stainless
I know this may not be the best platform for this, but I get a ton of info here so I will give this a try. I'm looking for a nice motorcycle trip this June, and for reasons I don't have time for, I am limiting my choices to Kentucky or West Virginia. My question is for those whose spend time there or have done it. I've been briefly to both places many years ago but don't remember much about it. I ride a liter plus sportbike, my buddy a cruiser, if it matters. I'm not a kneedragging wildman for what it's worth. We are looking for nice wooded twisty slow back roads, condition not important as long as paved. We both have 40 plus years of riding together so the difficulty is not of importance. We did all the tail of the dragon and the Rock Mountains and everything in between. So we want to slow it down and enjoy the little back country. What would be everyones first choice?

Never ridden back east, but I always get the hell off the Interstates as soon as possible.

Ontario looks fantastic, but it's the wrong direction, lol...

How about Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway? This was my weekend rides back when I was stateside.

The gap is a twisty 318 curves in 11 miles for a great twisty ride. lots of people to hang out with. Nice little campground with shelters for pack riders. Takes you from TN to NC then you have four directions of national forrest to choose from.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap – Motorcycle and sport car tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, Diamondback, Blue Ridge Parkway, and more.

Cherohala is 43 miles of long sweeping curves with a nearly 6K feet in elevation change. It connects to Deals gap on the east side. West side has many camp grounds along the Hiwassee river and Nanahala river. Great trout fishing and lots of camping spots.

Cherohala Skyway – Mile High Legend – Robbinsville North Carolin to Tellico Plains Tennessee

I realize you were asking about KY and west VA but since you're so close by the time you get there another couple hours is worth it, these are some great places to ride.

I'm in Louisville, but I haven't really done that much exploring. ADVRider is a pretty good source: Adventure Rider

Eastern Kentucky is the Appalachian mountains. Western KY is rolling hills, so sweeping turns rather than twisties. Scenery is nice both ways. KY State Resort Parks are a good place to stay if you want rooms rather than camping. Pick a few and map out some back roads between them and you should have a good time. (The parks are in scenic spots, so the roads between them should be good too.)

Route 50 in WV is good. As well as 33. Anything South or Southwest of MD panhandle, away from DC metro area, is going to be good. Areas around Seneca Rocks, Moorefield, Elkins, Wardensville, Davis. And deeper into SW WV is good.

I'm always amazed at this sort of thing. It's the same feeling I get when I see a dog walking on its hind legs. To purposely go anywhere just for the sake of going there? I'd sooner have my leg chewed off. I mean....everywhere is the exact same*, so why go there? And to put oneself into contact with traffic and weather conditions and ...people?

When the apolcalypse comes and there are no longer any people out there, then I'll consider going for a ride.

*I hear the Applebee's in Milwaukee is superb, almost as good as the Applebee's in Providence or the one in San Diego.

I'm always amazed at this sort of thing. It's the same feeling I get when I see a dog walking on its hind legs. To purposely go anywhere just for the sake of going there? I'd sooner have my leg chewed off. I mean....everywhere is the exact same*, so why go there? And to put oneself into contact with traffic and weather conditions and ...people?

When the apolcalypse comes and there are no longer any people out there, then I'll consider going for a ride.

*I hear the Applebee's in Milwaukee is superb, almost as good as the Applebee's in Providence or the one in San Diego.

I get the impression that your somewhere around 120 years old.

Old? Well, I'm too old to spend my life staring at some jamoke's rear bumper as he follows 5 other jamokes down the road. Too old to spend my time driving around idiots who bought $75,000 cars with no turn signal or rear view mirrors. Too old to spend 2 hours eating grease-filled crap at some roadside dump that charges $4 for a Coke and $13 for a hamburger.

There is nothing to see 'on the road'. That was different 50 years ago, but thank to the internet, TV, and the ever-increasing population it's all the same, everywhere. You used to be able to go to Iowa and see farm boys, or Montana to see ranchers, or Rhode Island to see fishermen. Now, the farm boys in Iowa listen to Jay-Z and play X-Box, and the ranchers and fishermen do, too.

Old? Well, I'm too old to spend my life staring at some jamoke's rear bumper as he follows 5 other jamokes down the road. Too old to spend my time driving around idiots who bought $75,000 cars with no turn signal or rear view mirrors. Too old to spend 2 hours eating grease-filled crap at some roadside dump that charges $4 for a Coke and $13 for a hamburger.

There is nothing to see 'on the road'. That was different 50 years ago, but thank to the internet, TV, and the ever-increasing population it's all the same, everywhere. You used to be able to go to Iowa and see farm boys, or Montana to see ranchers, or Rhode Island to see fishermen. Now, the farm boys in Iowa listen to Jay-Z and play X-Box, and the ranchers and fishermen do, too.

Who pissed in your cheerios ?

I take every chance I get to road trip: either by Plane, Car or Motorcycle.

A long time ago, Rt. 60 out of Charleston headed east was a nice drive. This was decades ago, and they had just completed re-paving it, so many folks were still avoiding it. It was a pleasant cruise in my new-to-me BMW 5-series.

I'm considering my first longer cycle ride, in and around PCH in CA. It's a week-long organized affair, but the sticking point is the week-long trip there and the other week-long trip back. Not really interested in renting a motorcycle out there, for reasons, but the time investment is tough. One week is fine. Three is out. We're looking into shipping bikes from and to this region, and meeting up with them out there. We'll see how much that adds up to...

Since you're already in Wisconsin how about one lap around Lake Michigan? The UP had zero traffic back in 2005, the Porcupine Mtns. have nice riding all along Lake Superior (a bit brisk even in July). The Mackinac Bridge is a sight to see/ride. Hug the Lake once you're across and head for Sleeping Bear Dunes south of Traverse City. Tall dunes with a great view of the Lake. Fine brown sand and surprisingly decent beaches all along the lake. Continue down the coast road whenever possible, if you go at the right time there's plenty of roadside produce stand with local grown fruit. Avoid Saugatuck and the "unique" crowds that flock there. Either avoid Chicago/Gary or stop (almost) anywhere for some truly great restaurant food no matter how you're dressed and no reservation needed. If you cruise through Chicago on Sunday at 4 AM you should have no problems.

I live about 45 minutes from The Dragon & the Cherohala Skyway and there is some great riding around here besides those over crowded byways.

Back