What's new
What's new

Earth with no Moon?

M. Moore

Titanium
Kind of a technical question....
Hope this doesn't get locked as I am interested in the answer.

What would the Earth be like without a moon?

I am only interested in plausible scenarios thanks, no fantasy stuff please.
It is a full moon tonight in our area thus the question arose.....

Cheers,
Michael

No ocean tides, no werewolves, no Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" or Cher in "Moonstruck", no moon landing conspiracies, no solar eclipses, and no lunatics.

Fewer, but stronger earthquakes. No tides, no harvest moon, no time frame reference so maybe no months on a calendar, no "many moons ago."
Bill D

No NASA, none of those twats Elon Musk & Richard (asshole) Branson playing the big I ams, and how many billions better off - because we didn't have to go there?

No moon would be a bad thing from what I understand. The Earth would eventually die. Gravitational forces from the moon are critical in keeping the Earth's core molten and it is this moving core which gives the earth a magnetic field. Without this magnetic field, the solar wind would strip away the atmosphere and the earth would become a dead rock like Mars.

gm

Probably no multicellular life without the tides. Interesting that the earth's magnetic field nearly disappeared for a while just before the Cambrian explosion.

"The moon blew up without warning and for no apparent reason"

This is the opening line of Neal Stephenson’s novel Seveneves.
I'm not really a SciFi fan, but make an exception for Mr. Stephenson. I particularly recommend this one.

What about the rocks falling on our heads ? Would we have to wear hardhats ?
It won't hurt. Moon rocks are only 1/6 as heavy as earth rocks...:D

Scientists say the moon had a major influence on the evolution of life on the earth. If there was no moon, there would probably be no Bigfoot alive today.

Back