Earth with no Moon? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What about lunar clusters? Shooting a moon? In my youth I have shot a few moons. Wifey however used to shoot pressed hams. Window up with cheeks pressed against the glass. I agree pressed ham is much more dramatic.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mantle cooling caused by solar panels???

As I understand it, the earth's internal heat source is radioactive decay, not any external source like the sun. Solar radiation, even before the advent of solar panels, was pretty much a zero sum game. The solar radiation absorbed on the day side of the earth was just about equaled by the amount of radiation (infra red?) on the dark side.

Besides, virtually all of the energy absorbed by those solar panels becomes HEAT. Some of it is direct heating: everything outside in the sunlight is heated by that sunlight and other radiation from the sun. But even the fraction of that energy that is converted to electricity is ultimately converted to heat. That conversion takes many forms, but all of them end up with a conversion heat. Resistance in the wires, mechanical friction in motors and what ever is powered by those motors, various forms of resistance in electronic circuits, even light that is emitted by various forms of light bulbs will strike the surfaces of the walls, ceiling, and floor and of the things in a room and be absorbed and converted to heat. The only fraction of that energy of the solar cells that is not converted to heat right here on our planet is the small fraction that gets radiated back out into space. And even that will become heat somewhere in the universe. This is called entropy. Google the "heat death of the universe".

Anyway, no number of solar panels will make much difference in the temperature of the earth, either at it's mantle or on the surface. Neither will any amount of use of carbon based fuels, but that is another subject. The earth can take GOOD care of itself.

So sleep easy. I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    This is something I've been afraid of and it keeps me up at night, "Mantle Cooling" caused by solar panels. All that energy from the sun that should be going into the planet is being absorbed by solar panels only so it can be misdirected back into the atmosphere ultimately as heat. We need to start a movement before the earths core solidifies.

3. Likes steve45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M. Moore View Post
    What would the Earth be like without a moon?
    It would be like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how-dare-you.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    snip...
    Neither will any amount of use of carbon based fuels, but that is another subject. The earth can take GOOD care of itself.
    Please expound?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    How dare you?
    Fuck that little twerp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

.... The earth can take GOOD care of itself.
    The earth will always take care of itself, there might not be any humans but the earth will survive just fine. It has gone through a lot without caring who or what lives on it.
    Bob

8. Likes steve45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Neither will any amount of use of carbon based fuels, but that is another subject. The earth can take GOOD care of itself.
    What the carbon-based fuels do is create an atmosphere that retains heat. You can prove this to yourself pretty easily, it's a high schol science experiment. Of course that is simplistic but so is "shorter tools are more rigid."

The earth can take care of itself for sure. So can Mars and Saturn and a lot of other places where humans cannot live. The earth really doesn't give a shit if we are here or not ...

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Wifey however used to shoot pressed hams. Window up with cheeks pressed against the glass. I agree pressed ham is much more dramatic.
    Remember when fax machines first came out and this was an office hobby ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow,
    You guys have been busy typing.
    I see only one or two honest answers in the bunch, and a lot of crap.

Personally I surmised that the lack of tides would have some impact on the life forms on this planet if they would have even happened without a moon.

This is not a conversation about global warming or climate change in any way and please stop talking about it here, go somewhere else.

Unless your post has something to do with how the earth would be without a moon then please stop posting here.

I think the OP should be able to ask the Moderator to remove posts, it would clean up all this bs and make a much better forum.

11. Likes fusker, Demon73, Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well-we will be without the moon quite soon-it's moving away from us at about 0.005"per annum ��

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Shooting at the moon a bit there don't you think?
    LLLMMMAAAOOO!!!
    YouTube

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow,

Personally I surmised that the lack of tides would have some impact on the life forms on this planet if they would have even happened without a moon.

This is not a conversation about global warming or climate change in any way and please stop talking about it here, go somewhere else.

Unless your post has something to do with how the earth would be without a moon then please stop posting here.

I think the OP should be able to ask the Moderator to remove posts, it would clean up all this bs and make a much better forum.

Wow, So you asked an irrelevant question on a site for discussing "manufacturing" then get angry when a bunch of grumpy ole machinist reply with irrelevant information. So you recommend being able to cry to the moderator about people posting replies that hurt your feelings?

15. Likes digger doug, barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there would still be solar tides

but boy it would be daaawwwk at night

Country
    FALKLAND ISLANDS (MALVINAS)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow,

Ja ja, es gibt nur einen Moderator, der für diese Aufgabe geeignet ist! Dieser Thread sollte nun in das Metrologie-Forum verschoben werden und der pissende Abschaum sollte sofort bestraft werden!

18. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow,

Awwww someone's come down off a weekend WEED bender....How cute.

20. Likes MichaelP liked this post
    Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    Ja ja, es gibt nur einen Moderator, der für diese Aufgabe geeignet ist! Dieser Thread sollte nun in das Metrologie-Forum verschoben werden und der pissende Abschaum sollte sofort bestraft werden!
    Hide the women and children ! The Saxons are at the door again !

22. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    I don't care who you are, but THAT right there is LMFAO funny!

24. Likes g-coder05, Demon73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Hide the women and children ! The Saxons are at the door again !
    There already here:
    Saxonburg, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Ah ! The home of the Conan Barbarian Festival and Action-Packed Jamboree ? I can just imagine what the homecoming rallies are like

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread should have been OT from the beginning. That said, I come here for information on machines and processes. If I wanted to know about the moon and its effects on the earth or its removal I would seek out sources from expert sites on astronomy and physics. The Internet has a wealth of information on this topic. It's there at your fingertips.

I'm just sayin'.

28. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Ah ! The home of the Conan Barbarian Festival and Action-Packed Jamboree ? I can just imagine what the homecoming rallies are like
    You should see how they celebrate in nearby Ambridge, pa....