What's new
What's new

Eclipse round magnetic chuck - how to dismatle

Ales Honsa

Plastic
Eclipse round magnetic chuck - how to dismantle

Hello,
Few weeks ago I purchased Eclipse round magnetic chuck. Diameter is 230mm. I think that there is something wrong with force on/off control. When I turn with controller there is not any significant resistance in compare with other magnetic chuck that I own, and no any changes in magnetic force. For this reason I need to open chuck and look inside. I have idea that there is broken connection between controlling lever and short-circuit plate.
Problem is that I don't know how to do dismantle. I removed flange with Morse 5 arbor and removed bolts that that goes from back plate to front segmented magnetic plate (these was 8 bolts on most outside circle - see attached photo of chuck back) through chuck body. Threads of these bolts are in front segmented magnetic plate.
Four holes with threads in next nearest circle are bolts holding flange. Purpose of most inner 4 holes with threads same as holes for flange is unknown. These 4 holes and holes for holding flange are blind.
When I knock by nylon hammer on sides there is very small move of central circular chuck body.

Does anybody have idea how to dismantle it, please?
Thanks

PS: Sorry for my English. It is not my born language.

IMAGE_677.jpgIMAGE_678.jpg

Welcome to Practical Machinist. I've got a mag chuck similar to yours. It's made in Japan, so a bit different. I took mine apart to clean and re-lube. I removed all bolts. At the backside there were 4 threaded blind holes that went up to the front section. I screwed 4 bolts into the holes and began to tighten evenly. It lifted the back plate off. The pinion works a tapered ramp (by way of acme thread) that brings the magnets in line.
By the way, no need to be sorry for your English. It's better than some that live here!

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. I done it by same way. I tightened 4 bolts into holes (both circles - most inner and outer for flange). But there is not any move. I don't wanted to apply extreme torque on bolts to prevent bolts or threads damage.

Well shoot. I don't know what else you could try. Mine was mighty tough to get moving. I screwed the four 8mm bolts in a bit and tapped them with a hammer. Then a little more. She finally began to smile.

Ahoj Alese.
Koupil jsem si kulaté magnetické sklíčidlo Eclipse. Průměr je 230 mm. Podobně jako vy.
Viděl jsem v "Maquinista Practical" vaši žádost o pomoc v únoru 2016.
Teď jsem to já, kdo potřebuje vaši pomoc a informace.
Prosím, chci vědět, jestli jste se zbavili sklíčidla a jak jste to udělali.
Mám problém s velkou tvrdostí otáčení a magnetem.
Komunikoval jsem s výrobcem Eclipse v U.K. a říkají mi, že můžete ztratit magnetismus. Posílám jim je a že jednou tam budou mít cenu opravy, v případě zájmu.
Je jasné, že částka přepravy čtyř sklíčidel do U.K. plus oprava, která není známa částkou a přepravními náklady, jakmile je opravena do Španělska, může stát více než nákup dvou nových.
To je důvod, proč potřebuji pomoc, protože dva sklíčidla mají 8 šroubů s kuželovou hlavou s drážkou (1/4 x 2 "5/16 26 TPI) a další dvě mají 4 identické šrouby a 4 kolíky nebo vodítka, zřejmě z litiny, a s stejný tvar kuželovité hlavy šroubů, ale bez drážky. Barva těchto 4 kolíků bez drážky se liší od barvy šroubů. Jejich barva je světle šedá skvrnitá, podobně jako železná tvárná litina.
Oceňuji veškeré informace, které mi mohou pomoci.
Děkuji moc, Pedro J.

------ ENGLISH:

Hello Ales.
I bought a round magnetic chuck Eclipse. The diameter is 230 mm. Similar to yours.
I have seen in "Maquinista Practical" your request for help in February 2016.
Now it's me who needs your help and information.
Please, I want to know if you got rid of the chuck and how you did it.
I have the problem of the great hardness to turn and that the magnet acts.
I have communicated with the manufacturer of Eclipse in U.K. and they tell me that you can lose the magnetism. I send them to them and that once there they will give me the price of the repair, in case I am interested.
It is clear, the amount of the shipment of the four chucks to U.K. plus the repair, which is unknown the amount and shipping costs once repaired to Spain, may cost more than buying two new.
That's why I need help because two of the chucks have 8 slotted conical head screws (1/4 x 2 "5/16 26 TPI), and the other two have 4 identical screws and 4 pins or guides, apparently made of cast iron, and with the same shape of the conical head of the screws but without groove.The color of these 4 pins without a groove is different from that of the screws.Their color is light gray mottled, like the ductile cast iron.
I appreciate any information that can help me.
Thank you very much, Pedro J.

---- ESPAÑOL:

Hola Ales.
He comprado unos mandril magnético redondo Eclipse. El diámetro es de 230 mm. Similares al tuyo.
He visto en "Maquinista Practical" tu solicitud de ayuda de Febrero de 2016.
Ahora soy yo quien necesita tu ayuda e información.
Por favor, deseo saber si conseguiste desmontar el chuck y cómo lo has hecho.
Tengo el problema de la gran dureza para girar y que actue el imán.
He comunicado con el fabricante de Eclipse en U.K. y me dicen que puede perder el magnetismo. Que se los envíe y que una vez allí me darán precio de la reparación, por si me interesa.
Está claro, el importe del envío de los cuatro chucks a U.K. más la reparación, que se desconoce el importe y los gastos de envio una vez reparado hasta España, puede costar más que comprar dos nuevos.
Por eso necesito ayuda pues dos de los chucks tienen 8 tornillos cabeza cónica ranurada (1/4 x 2"5/16 26 TPI), y los otros dos tienen 4 tornillos iguales y 4 pasadores o guías, aparentemente de hierro fundido, y con la misma forma de la cabeza cónica de los tornillos pero sin ranura. El color de estos 4 pasadores sin ranura es distinto al de los tornillos. Su color es gris claro moteado, como la fundición ductil de hierro.
Agradezco cualquier información que me pueda servir de ayuda.
Muchas gracias, Pedro J.

Ahoj Alese.
Koupil jsem si kulaté magnetické sklíčidlo Eclipse. Průměr je 230 mm. Podobně jako vy.
Viděl jsem v "Maquinista Practical" vaši žádost o pomoc v únoru 2016.
Teď jsem to já, kdo potřebuje vaši pomoc a informace.
Prosím, chci vědět, jestli jste se zbavili sklíčidla a jak jste to udělali.
Mám problém s velkou tvrdostí otáčení a magnetem.
Komunikoval jsem s výrobcem Eclipse v U.K. a říkají mi, že můžete ztratit magnetismus. Posílám jim je a že jednou tam budou mít cenu opravy, v případě zájmu.
Je jasné, že částka přepravy čtyř sklíčidel do U.K. plus oprava, která není známa částkou a přepravními náklady, jakmile je opravena do Španělska, může stát více než nákup dvou nových.
To je důvod, proč potřebuji pomoc, protože dva sklíčidla mají 8 šroubů s kuželovou hlavou s drážkou (1/4 x 2 "5/16 26 TPI) a další dvě mají 4 identické šrouby a 4 kolíky nebo vodítka, zřejmě z litiny, a s stejný tvar kuželovité hlavy šroubů, ale bez drážky. Barva těchto 4 kolíků bez drážky se liší od barvy šroubů. Jejich barva je světle šedá skvrnitá, podobně jako železná tvárná litina.
Oceňuji veškeré informace, které mi mohou pomoci.
Děkuji moc, Pedro J.

------ ENGLISH:

Hello Ales.
I bought a round magnetic chuck Eclipse. The diameter is 230 mm. Similar to yours.
I have seen in "Maquinista Practical" your request for help in February 2016.
Now it's me who needs your help and information.
Please, I want to know if you got rid of the chuck and how you did it.
I have the problem of the great hardness to turn and that the magnet acts.
I have communicated with the manufacturer of Eclipse in U.K. and they tell me that you can lose the magnetism. I send them to them and that once there they will give me the price of the repair, in case I am interested.
It is clear, the amount of the shipment of the four chucks to U.K. plus the repair, which is unknown the amount and shipping costs once repaired to Spain, may cost more than buying two new.
That's why I need help because two of the chucks have 8 slotted conical head screws (1/4 x 2 "5/16 26 TPI), and the other two have 4 identical screws and 4 pins or guides, apparently made of cast iron, and with the same shape of the conical head of the screws but without groove.The color of these 4 pins without a groove is different from that of the screws.Their color is light gray mottled, like the ductile cast iron.
I appreciate any information that can help me.
Thank you very much, Pedro J.

---- ESPAÑOL:

Hola Ales.
He comprado unos mandril magnético redondo Eclipse. El diámetro es de 230 mm. Similares al tuyo.
He visto en "Maquinista Practical" tu solicitud de ayuda de Febrero de 2016.
Ahora soy yo quien necesita tu ayuda e información.
Por favor, deseo saber si conseguiste desmontar el chuck y cómo lo has hecho.
Tengo el problema de la gran dureza para girar y que actue el imán.
He comunicado con el fabricante de Eclipse en U.K. y me dicen que puede perder el magnetismo. Que se los envíe y que una vez allí me darán precio de la reparación, por si me interesa.
Está claro, el importe del envío de los cuatro chucks a U.K. más la reparación, que se desconoce el importe y los gastos de envio una vez reparado hasta España, puede costar más que comprar dos nuevos.
Por eso necesito ayuda pues dos de los chucks tienen 8 tornillos cabeza cónica ranurada (1/4 x 2"5/16 26 TPI), y los otros dos tienen 4 tornillos iguales y 4 pasadores o guías, aparentemente de hierro fundido, y con la misma forma de la cabeza cónica de los tornillos pero sin ranura. El color de estos 4 pasadores sin ranura es distinto al de los tornillos. Su color es gris claro moteado, como la fundición ductil de hierro.
Agradezco cualquier información que me pueda servir de ayuda.
Muchas gracias, Pedro J.

Hello Pedro,
sorry for so extreme late reaction from my side. I was very busy and simply forget to reply to you.
Unfortunatelly I was not been sucesfull in disassembly. I tried it fo some time and when there was not any progress and I had some more urgent work I left it for some potential future disasembly try.

Back