What's new
What's new

Editing a thread - gives error message on multiple web browsers

motion guru

Diamond
I made a post from my iPad and noted after posting that NEMA frame had been autocorrected to NEMATODE . . . (I hate autocorrect) . . . I went to edit it and Safari kicked me out of the page with a warning.

So I tried it with Firefox on my Windows 8 machine - same thing . . .

403 Forbidden

A potentially unsafe operation has been detected in your request to this site.

Generated by Wordfence at Sat, 8 Apr 2017 17:56:54 GMT.
Your computer's time: Sat, 08 Apr 2017 17:56:55 GMT.

I can edit this post, but can't edit the warner brake post

Whats up with that?

Last edited:
Well let me try posting this, then I will return and see if I succeed in editing it.

On edit:

It appears to have succeeded.

On second edit:

Safari browser on an iMac

Last edited:
Testing with a desktop using Windows and Firefox. Will try editing and see what happens.

Edit: worked fine. I suspect it is a security setting for your device or browser, perhaps interpreting it as an illegal redirect?

Edit 2: My first edit was after only seconds. I do not think it is a site problem but rather something his browser or security software doesn't "like".

I can edit this post, but can't edit the warner brake post

Whats up with that?

AFAIK, it isn't the PM site nor edit function atall.

Mac Powerbook here sometimes, OpenBSD devel 'snapshots' on the other box, which sees ZERO adverts, never, ever has the problem.

The Mac has lesser armour, and of a different type entirely. Probably not so different from recent/latest WinWOES, as it is in the browser, mostly. It has hit this same situation a few times.

The culprit seems to be the adverts on the same "page" as you are editing.

Now and then - and very unpredictably - one of those feeds will track-back to a source the browser's suit of armour or upstream miscreant DB registry has flagged as a bad-actor.

Problem may then vanish at a later session or even just a page refresh as DIFFERENT adverts are inserted, each go.

That it NEVER occurs on a zero-advert machine is telling.

There probably aren't very many PM'ers as "edit" as often as yrs truly - maybe NONE - so I'd figure that fairly 'definitive'.

:)

I could edit any thread on the site - just not the Warner Brake part number thread . . . something on that specific thread locked out my phone, my laptop and my iPad . . . none of them like that thread.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...rake-warner-electric-mystery-drawings-333692/

I went back today and added and then edited from my work computer and it seems fine with it. Must be my personal computing items with upgraded security?

Must be my personal computing items with upgraded security?

Almost certainly.

But it is also HOW the 'security' is applied.
In your case, browser, or browser 'support' side-show.

As the browser was also your 'editing toolset', once alarmed, it interfered with the march.

In my case, a local DNS and the 'Privoxy' Unix proxy block multiple tens of thousands of advert and other malware sites OUTRIGHT.

Calls made to them - even for google FONTS - from within a web-page never leave my machine.

They are 'served up' locally as null-content from a 'localhost' or Privoxy port.

Uplink sees but a fraction of the bandwidth otherwise wasted for graphics I never wanted to begin with.

Pages, of course, also load Blitz-quick as well as being faster to read without the eye-poison distractions.

Wasn't PM that started me on that. Mere collateral beneficiary of it all.

Original 'trigger' was online banks, C-Cards, and Equities brokerages, mostly.

I could edit any thread on the site - just not the Warner Brake part number thread . . . something on that specific thread locked out my phone, my laptop and my iPad . . . none of them like that thread.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...rake-warner-electric-mystery-drawings-333692/

I went back today and added and then edited from my work computer and it seems fine with it. Must be my personal computing items with upgraded security?

See if there is a Trusted Sites setting in security and add PM as an exception. I highly suspect it is the off-site links in ads triggering a suspicion of a malicious redirect, which is common on suspicious sites.

Back