What's new
What's new

EE10 Monarch collets

carloclock

Plastic
Hi All,
sorry for my por English and my poor question.

A friend of mine , proud owner of an Hardinge lathe, would like to buy a EE10 Monarch but he is unsure of the kind of collets the lathe fit.
Of Course he has a lot of C5 collets and he would like to know in which way he can, eventually, use them on the EE10: is there an adapter or he must cut it himself.
Is there any picture which shows the EE10 lathe nose fitted with a C5 collet.

Thanks for your time in replying.
Carlo

Hi All,

A friend of mine , proud owner of an Hardinge lathe, would like to buy a EE10 Monarch but he is unsure of the kind of collets the lathe fit.
Of Course he has a lot of C5 collets and he would like to know in which way he can, eventually, use them on the EE10: is there an adapter or he must cut it himself.

Carlo

Hello Carlo,

Welcome to the forum, you should post this in the Monarch section......using the search function, you will find plenty of solutions!

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/

There’s a couple of options for using 5C collets in a Monarch 10ee, you can use the factory setup with a hand wheel or the lever style?

You can also use a Sjogren spindle mount collet chuck.

Here’s a thread with a similar question!

10EE spindle adapters for 5C collets

Kevin

Use the search term D1-3 5C to look on eBay or elsewhere on the Internet.

Monarch made a D1-3 to 5C collet adapter that must be used in combination with a lever or handwheel draw bar that extends through the lathe spindle. Used ones are often on eBay.

NICE MONARCH LATHE TOOL ROOM 10 EE 5C COLLET NOSE D 1 3 | eBay

Several companies in different countries make self-contained 5C collet chucks that mount on a D1-3 spindle. Most use a square-ended chuck key, but the Hardinge-Sjogren came with a handwheel or a lever, either of which was part of the chuck.

The Sjogren 5C chucks could be ordered with either a plain nose or a replica of the Hardinge lathe spindle nose (either taper or threaded), which allowed the use of step chuck closers. You could even mount a Hardinge jaw chuck on the Sjogren. It would stick out rather far, but might appeal to someone who has both a Hardinge and a Monarch. Used Sjogren 5C chucks with D1-3 backs are very rare, whichever type you may want to find. If you ask ATS for the price of a new 0028-00 Sjogren, you may find it costs as much as a used lathe.

Manual Collet Chucks — ATS

Pratt Burnerd sells an "Atlas" brand 5C D1-3 chuck with a plain nose (will not hold a step chuck closer) that looks like a copy of the Sjogren.

Lathe Chucks & Accessories | Collet Chucks | 5C Front Hand Wheel Quickie Collet Chuck - D1-3 Mount - 9" Dia. - Pratt Burnerd PB23-D3 | B2229704 - GLOBALindustrial.com

Larry

Hi All,

Carlo

5C exist for the 10EE. Mine use a 3rd-party made key-operated D1-3 nose-mount.

A more common rig on the 10EE, and usually easier to find, used was/is a D1-3 mount Hardinge/Sjogren in the larger 2J collet.

There are also Hardinge "loop" front-lever D103 nose-mount in both 5C and 2J

CAVEAT: The 2J collets are more expensive than 5C.

ER sytem is also available on D1-3 or flat plate mount. Mine are ER-40

So, too, Burnerd multisize on D1-3 mount.

NONE of the above use a drawtube obstructing the already tiny spindle bore.

That said, 5C with drawtube to rear-lever or rear handwheel is easy, common, and in the case of handwheel, even DIY at low-cost.

The front closer can be a D1-3 mount, OEM style, or a simpler closer bushing placed into the 12 Jarno spindle taper. DIY is possible if you cannot find one, ready-made.

"more common rig on the 10EE, and usually easier to find, used was/is a D1-3 mount Hardinge/Sjogren in the larger 2J collet."

Rooster fish Bill thermite, is the forum troll, really has no idea what he is talking about, always consider the source.

Since the Monarch EE is a toolmakers lathe, perhaps the best set up could be made on the machine itself, such as this adjustable for run out 5c set up copied from a CNC chuck.
wjwKHmy.jpg

The photo shows the handwheel closer, using a single Timken bearing for thrust.
The collet chuck nose, is 2 piece, and adjusts for radial run out similar to a Buck adjust true jaw chuck.

Thanks for your answers. I think now my friend will go crazy to buy a Monarch EE10 :o) :o)
All the best.
Carlo

Thanks for your answers. I think now my friend will go crazy to buy a Monarch EE10 :o) :o)
All the best.
Carlo

No fear.

Small-d-donie-the-COVID-orphan-drama-queen was already crazy as a cockroach on LSD before he met his first 10EE.

So it isn't as big a risk as might first appear. The real machinists as own them are a saner that average lot- not like him at all.

Walla Walla Whining Wild Turkey sucked all of the madness out of the room as raw material to fabricate his lies with.

Greedy bugger, ain't he?

Must be the hadratid DNA?

:D

Back