What's new
What's new

Electric motor question for milling machine

MichaelEverson1

Plastic
I recently acquired a MSC gear head milling machine model number 09512914 the motor is a 3 phase motor and would like to swap it out for a single. Is there a source for these motors besides MSC? Im not against buying one from them but thought I could source one cheaper elsewhere. They want almost $600.00 for one. The tag on the motor isn't much help. The current motor is model #
CT-18-17-01-09-C(1)-3-02-1-04-1-07-01-08-1-04-6-05
Don't even know what all those mean. Its a 1 horse flange mount with a 3/4 shaft.
Thanks Mike

I recently acquired a MSC gear head milling machine model number 09512914 the motor is a 3 phase motor and would like to swap it out for a single. Is there a source for these motors besides MSC? Im not against buying one from them but thought I could source one cheaper elsewhere. They want almost $600.00 for one. The tag on the motor isn't much help. The current motor is model #
CT-18-17-01-09-C(1)-3-02-1-04-1-07-01-08-1-04-6-05
Don't even know what all those mean. Its a 1 horse flange mount with a 3/4 shaft.
Thanks Mike
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09512914

Get a VFD, should be under $200 for that motor size.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09512914

Get a VFD, should be under $200 for that motor size.

And get a VFD with a 120 V single phase input rated for a 1 HP motor. It will be much cheaper than a special motor and run off any household electrical outlet. Plus, you may find the variable speed feature fun to play with.

AC drives (VFD's) can be bought on eBay or from various online retailers. Practical Machinist has a VFD forum where you can ask about specific models and sources.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-and-vfd/

Larry

A VFD will give you variable speed and fast electrical braking. That motor is likely expensive as it probably has a longer then normal shaft that most off the shelf ones will lack.
Bil lD

As mentioned several times above, changing to single phase from a three phase motor on a milling machine is not wise either from the operational standpoint or financially.

Either a VFD or an RPC would be the obvious choice for most having only single phase in their shop.

In my case I went with a home-built RPC for about $200. On my 3 hp Webb mill a new motor would run me about $900. No thanks. :rolleyes5:

Milling machines for whatever reason tend to have fancy-schmancy custom spec motors on them. If not for that I'd just look up the frame size and plunk an equivalent one in there. VFD and walk away.

Looks like a C face motor. If so, C face motors are very adaptable and any generic 1 HP should be adapted to fit. We just adapted a $60 EBay C face to a Bridgeport. Easy peasy and saved a bunch........Bob

Milling machines for whatever reason tend to have fancy-schmancy custom spec motors on them. If not for that I'd just look up the frame size and plunk an equivalent one in there. VFD and walk away.

The typical Bridgeport or BP clone motor for a variable drive has an extra long/large-diameter shaft that carries the sheaves for the drive. Also, the motor bolts directly to the drive housing.

It would be very difficult to adapt a different motor to the task. If the need is simply to be able to use single phase power, then it would be far less trouble to go to a VFD or an RPC. I'm just saying.....

Back