What's new
What's new

OT: What is this electrical box called?

TurboFabSupply

Hot Rolled
I need something that is essentially a 2-gang box to wire up two Decora style switches in, but the box must also have two outlets mounted in it.

Think, spot for two switches on the front, two 3 prong 110v outlets on the bottom, hole on the sides for wires in.

Can anyone help me with something like this? I can get a 5 hole box and run plug out of it but it looks tacky by comparison.

Do the switches have to be the futura type? There are 1 toggle switch + 1 outlet devices that fit in place of a duplex outlet. 2 of these in a double box should satisfy your electrical requirements. All of the components should be available at your local home center.

I am putting Decora sized timers in some of them to control two motors, one switch one timer in another, etc. It can be, wall mounted, machine mounted or hand held. No preference. It does need a weather resistant cover as well, but I have located one already for a 2-gang or 1-gang box.

I basically don't want cords hanging out of this thing.
716BXb5GT9L._SL1500_.jpg

Or buy another weather tight box and join the two together. You can get a one position box and mount it sideways to the plugs come out the bottom as desired (assuming the timers are wall mounted vertically). Put in a duplex outlet that allows splitting the outlets.

I need something that is essentially a 2-gang box to wire up two Decora style switches in, but the box must also have two outlets mounted in it.

Think, spot for two switches on the front, two 3 prong 110v outlets on the bottom, hole on the sides for wires in.

Can anyone help me with something like this? I can get a 5 hole box and run plug out of it but it looks tacky by comparison.

Your question isn't very clear to me. You won't find a standard box with mounts for devices on the "front" as well as the "bottom".
Weather Tight boxes come in MANY configurations. They make 3-gang boxes but they're relatively pricey ($90-$150).
I recommend you take your questions to your local electrical supply house and ask them for help or go to HD and use what they sell.

You could join a 2-gang box to a 1-gang box with a close nipple (talk about tacky).

Duplex outlet? I only see a single outlet.

For what you describe, with switches on the front and duplex outlets on the bottom, I believe you are going to have to buy a steel box and add the appropriate openings for the switches and outlets. I have a double D chassis punch that can make the punches for standard duplex outlets and you can get double switches in a similar style. I would be willing to punch it for you if you would mark it and send it to me.

Your Decora style switches would need rectangular openings and you could probably cut them yourself with drills, saber saw, and file.

In any case, be sure you allow for clearance between the switches and outlets inside the box. And I would recommend using an aluminum box: it is easier to work with. They can be had in many, various sizes from electronic supply companies.

If you know the brands and the buzzwords all sorts of funky stuff can be found, such as part # FB6006

414RB9Z1CYL.jpg

Branded as Hubble, as Bell, as Raco, etc. May no longer be in production. Has atrocious reputation for reliability.

Thats exactly what I want! Unfortunately it will be running an AC motor load which means I'd derate its 15A resistive load rating to about 5A, below the 12.2A I need. Ill probably go with dangling cords out of the 2-gang box since I have the other components necessary to run the equipment I want. If there are any other suggestions, I welcome them. Im not looking to do it as cheaply as possible, would rather something that works for a long time.

Back