What's new
What's new

Embossed stainless sheet, 0.010" alloy that won't loose it's shape to ~1500deg F.

Cobymoby

Plastic
Embossed stainless sheet, 0.010" alloy that won't loose it's shape to ~1500deg F.

I was speaking with a gasket manufacturer years back about having them make us some gaskets for an automotive application (exhaust system), where temps would regularly be around 1200-1500deg F.

They told me that doing multi layer sheets with an embossed ring in 3xx grade stainless would be useless, as they embossment would flatten out immediately upon use.

They recommended a different grade that was commonly available.... anyone have any experience with this? I've been looking at high temp spring steels but have only come up with exotic materials that would be hard or cost prohibitive to come by.

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm... I wonder what the OEM's are using. Steel is what you'll run into 99% of the time at the cylinder head/manifold gasket. The embossment is still there when you pull them off.

Do you think GM is using inconel sheet on a Chevy Malibu?

But head to manifold should never get to 1500F. That's what you specced, so why I suggested 718. If this isn't a racing situation, then something like a 321 SS should work.

I don't know know the exact numbers, but the quenching done by the water cooling of the head should keep the head/manifold interface to under 1000F at the hottest. looking at dyno runs of racing engine headers, the glow from the pipes indicates temps up to 2000F or beyond.

Red heat - Wikipedia

Hi Milland,

Thanks for the response! My application will sit at the entrance of the catalytic converter, so we won't see any of the cooling like you do at the head/manifold with the water jackets inside the castings. The cat temps will run slightly hotter than the exhaust temps going into the thing due to the exothermic reaction going on. But with the airflow in that area, I'd guestimate we will be up to 1500deg if the engine is being pegged near redline.

Hoping to spec whatever material the OE's are using. I am typically seeing steel and/or graphite at these connections.
Anyone?

Back