Embossed stainless sheet, 0.010" alloy that won't loose it's shape to ~1500deg F.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Embossed stainless sheet, 0.010" alloy that won't loose it's shape to ~1500deg F.

I was speaking with a gasket manufacturer years back about having them make us some gaskets for an automotive application (exhaust system), where temps would regularly be around 1200-1500deg F.

They told me that doing multi layer sheets with an embossed ring in 3xx grade stainless would be useless, as they embossment would flatten out immediately upon use.

They recommended a different grade that was commonly available.... anyone have any experience with this? I've been looking at high temp spring steels but have only come up with exotic materials that would be hard or cost prohibitive to come by.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think you're in Inconel 718 territory...

3. Likes boslab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm... I wonder what the OEM's are using. Steel is what you'll run into 99% of the time at the cylinder head/manifold gasket. The embossment is still there when you pull them off.

Do you think GM is using inconel sheet on a Chevy Malibu?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But head to manifold should never get to 1500F. That's what you specced, so why I suggested 718. If this isn't a racing situation, then something like a 321 SS should work.

I don't know know the exact numbers, but the quenching done by the water cooling of the head should keep the head/manifold interface to under 1000F at the hottest. looking at dyno runs of racing engine headers, the glow from the pipes indicates temps up to 2000F or beyond.

Red heat - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Milland,

Thanks for the response! My application will sit at the entrance of the catalytic converter, so we won't see any of the cooling like you do at the head/manifold with the water jackets inside the castings. The cat temps will run slightly hotter than the exhaust temps going into the thing due to the exothermic reaction going on. But with the airflow in that area, I'd guestimate we will be up to 1500deg if the engine is being pegged near redline.

Hoping to spec whatever material the OE's are using. I am typically seeing steel and/or graphite at these connections.
    Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graphite will burn at those temps in the presence of oxygen, but if protected with a sealed overlay of stainless may be OK.

"When exposed to air, graphite burns at a temperature of 400°C, and the reaction can become self-sustaining at 550°C"

The Nuclear Green Revolution: Does Nuclear Grade Graphite Burn?

I'd still suggest checking out 321 Stainless for your application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Milland for your insight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

catalytic converter cases are 409 ss