What's new
What's new

Emco 10p info

emcmike

Hot Rolled
Are the Emco 10p maxmat's pretty hardy little machines ? $850 to much for an older one , cabinet and some tooling with it.

$850 is fair if the machine is in good condition.
The V10 lathes are accurate but have a couple weak points which need to be checked before buying: The headstock has a couple fiber gears inside which can wear severely and the shift forks for said gears are made of zamek pot metal which often deteriorates and drops into the fiber gears wreaking havoc.
The crummy old 2-speed Austrian motor is under-powered and runs very hot. The on/off/range/fwd/rev/millhead switches on top of the headstock are as wretched as the motor so verify they work.
The V10-P "P" stands for power cross feed which is a bonus. Older machines are painted blue. The Yahoo Maximat group is a very friendly storehouse of information...
The factory cabinet is another bonus. You could part the machine out if it's a junker.

One nice thing about the Maximat gear heads is that they have quality spindle bearings. If yours are in good shape, that's a plus compared to most lathes in that price range.

As noted by Cranium, the motors (and also the control switches) on the Emco gear heads tend to go astray after some years. However, it's not especially difficult to replace these with a DC/variable or 3 phase/VFD setup giving you the best of both a geared head and variable speed. Do check that the low and high speeds and forward and reverse work without hesitation -- and try to negotiate a lower price if there's a glitch. Even if there's a problem, if the rest of the lathe is in good shape you'll likely be happy with it. Just start looking for a replacement motor that will fit the somewhat restricted space available.

If you decide later to get another lathe in the years ahead, the 10 is fairly compact and might be an ideal second lathe. I've kept a Maximat 7 for precisely that purpose -- replacing the small OEM motor with a Baldor DC and a variable speed. In good shape, the $850 seems a bargain for a decent lathe with power cross feed and quick change bearing.

If yours happens to have the full collet set, they are also accurate and will have less overhang than adding some sort of collet chuck. Some of the OEM Emco chucks also have a locking collar, which allows a threaded chuck to be run in reverse. Nice feature.

Thank you for the input.

PeteM, sorry for the misunderstanding on the other thread. It got sideways when I clicked on the first link and the map was all shades of blue. Then clicking on the other link and the map was red areas. My mistake , sometimes I'm a real moob .

Any whooo here's a photo of the lathe in question , I'll have to go look at it.

Attachments

• 00m0m_dQeGMFtlHf1_300x300.jpg
    00m0m_dQeGMFtlHf1_300x300.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 965
Price is good. I've owned two V10P's and often wish I hadn't been so quick to sell them. One I rebuilt like new (actually.. it was new but sat in a damp basement for 35 years...).

http://s238.photobucket.com/user/lakeside53/library/Emco v10P rebuild?sort=4&page=1

Yes, the two speed single phase motor can be a problem, but if it's bad it's not hard to adapt a 56 frame on the bench behind, and add a vfd. One of My V10p's had a factory three phase motor to start with.

The stupid push button switch array is unreliable and almost impossible to fix. I have a very simple solution to that - you'll find it in the link above.

Take care.. there are a few different variants -Metric and Imperial (lead screws, QCGB and spindle) and a wacky DIN spindle that's hard (in the USA) to find chuck adapter plates for. Most you'll find here are imperial with an 8tpi lead screw and a 1 1/2x8 spindle, but the other are around. Also, if it has a three phase motor, some are 440 only.

Nice rebuild Lakeside. After reading the UK page , I see yours is the early blue version. I seller sent me his phone No# so I'll call in the morning. Would be nice if he had what's left of the mill attachment.

Thank you for the input.

PeteM, sorry for the misunderstanding on the other thread. It got sideways when I clicked on the first link and the map was all shades of blue. Then clicking on the other link and the map was red areas. My mistake , sometimes I'm a real moob .

Any whooo here's a photo of the lathe in question , I'll have to go look at it.

No problem on the other thread -- it would be pretty easy to read things backward.

Hope the lathe is in good shape and finds a new home.

Back