Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Emco V10 lathe - some questions

Just recently got hold of an older Emco V10 lathe - it's missing a few parts like the chuck and backplate, for me it looks like these use a custom backing plate with some kind of "lock ring" - is there any source for backplates like this, eventually anything else one can do to not having to use this clampring ?.

Also there seem to be a problem with moving the gears in the gearbox, they look just fine, and is rotating fine, but seem like they kinda sits "locked" on the spindle they are attatched to - I post some pictures of the gears, tried to move them while gently rotating the spindle back/forth to no avail.

Also is the 125mm chuck the biggest chuck this can take ?.

Any tips on good alternative chucks appreciated

It's also missing the "clamp ring" that holds down the top slide (it's broken in two which I think is a weakness of these lathes...)
    so any tips on sources for something like this, or alternative to fix the top slide....

20190916_155838_result.jpg20190916_155846_result.jpg20190910_193408_result.jpg20190916_113759_result.jpg

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been able to loosen the gears, seem they where only "stuck" on some old oil/grease residue.....the other questions still of interest though

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That back plate only from EMCO I would think. As I recall it had a split with a clamp bolt to allow for running on reverse with the threaded spindle. If reverse running is needed you could drill and tap the shoulder area of the back plate and use 1 or 2 brass tipped set [grub]screws in a standard back plate. I believe that spindle thread is 1.5" X 8 like South Bend -Logan -Boxford.

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEvans View Post
    That back plate only from EMCO I would think. As I recall it had a split with a clamp bolt to allow for running on reverse with the threaded spindle. If reverse running is needed you could drill and tap the shoulder area of the back plate and use 1 or 2 brass tipped set [grub]screws in a standard back plate. I believe that spindle thread is 1.5" X 8 like South Bend -Logan -Boxford.
    Thanks for the tip on brass pins, might be able to use that with a "normal" backplate then

The threads on this one is M39/4 (Metric version)

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ask on the yahoo group, you're sure to get the answers there: Yahoo! Groups

I have a Super 11 and love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    Ask on the yahoo group, you're sure to get the answers there: Yahoo! Groups

I have a Super 11 and love it!
    Yeah so do I but the V10P really isn't in the same league as a Super 11. The Super 11 is pretty lightweight itself. Lovely build quality though.

PDW